Indeed an American beauty

Posted : 1 week, 4 days ago on 21 August 2014 09:05

'American Beauty' is indeed an American beauty! What can I say? I doubt 'Fight Club' will be as good in my opinion and I can say that this is one of those rare times where the Academy Awards have got it right!

This movie is so amazing, I had to decide the king of movies between 'Memento' and 'American Beauty' and personally I prefer 'Memento' but hardly!

The movie makes sense at the end and it all fits together! The protagonist Lester (Kevin Spacey) is married to Carolyn (Annette Bening) and they have a daughter Jane (Thora Birch). Lester falls for Jane's friend Angela (Mena Suvari) and Jane falls for Ricky (Wes Bentley) while Carolyn falls for another man and cheats on her husband. Ricky at first films Jane and then she asks him to kill her father.

Kevin Spacey is amazing in the lead role! His dialogue is amazing and his acting skills are top-notch. The rest of the cast are also wonderful! Mena Suvari is in the right movie and so are the rest of the cast!

Alan Ball has written a masterpiece which Sam Mendes has masterfully directed! And the ending is so shocking and unexpected but similar to 'Memento', they give a sneak peak earlier in the movie that it will happen at some point! And 'American Beauty' happens to be my second favourite movie ever! Which do you prefer? 'Memento' or 'American Beauty'. To each his own!

P.S. This was funny, our neighbours lent us the DVD and someone had written on the disc 'APPALLING! INFACT IT WAS WORSE THAN OVER THE HEDGE! MUCH WORSE!'. HAHAHAHA!!!

Posted : 7 months, 2 weeks ago on 18 January 2014 08:58

A visually beautiful film that is an experience that will stay with me for a very long time. Crazy experiences are told in the suburbs.

Posted : 1 year, 1 month ago on 17 July 2013 04:58

An acerbic, darkly comic critique of how social conventions can lead people into false, sterile and emotionally stunted lives, "American Beauty" is a real American original. Multilayered, bracingly resourceful and tweaked to push its many brash ideas to the edge and beyond, this independent-minded feature represents a stunning card of introduction for two cinematic freshmen, screenwriter Alan Ball and director Sam Mendes.

Posted : 2 years, 1 month ago on 18 July 2012 02:26

Wow, American Beauty is not just a satire of the American suburbs, but also a caricature of the whole world. Aren't we all really like this inside? I believe the characters shown in the film are really the sort of people that we cannot explain or we have them hidden somewhere at the back of our minds, while some have bought it forward, others haven't. Anyway, the Burnham's are probably the most dysfunctional family since the Sawyer's from the 70's, or maybe third to the Sitcom family. I believe the characters are not too complicated to understand and what they go through totally shows their maturity of their mind. Carolyn leads her to believe that she is the victim, even though she's not and Jane thinks that Ricky is a great person, even though he's not. I think it's all the effects of the drugs, and it has made him devoid of emotions and understanding. Also, I believe Jane to be completely confused about what's wrong and what's right and she picks the one she finds attractive.

Anyway, American Beauty is widely considered one of the greatest films of modern times and I can't help agreeing to it. It tackles issues that can be tackled but cannot be presented in such a brilliant manner as this one. The sexuality, repression, depression, loneliness, happiness, alienation, life, death and all that. I personally am a big fan of all these subjects because I can relate to it, and not just the fake-happiness, the-world-is-fine-and-nothing-is-wrong-with-it attitude many films adopt. This is almost-realistic and captures most of the feelings accurately, or at least the ones I could identify. In all, after watching this film don't be surprised if you come up with many different analysis and interpretations. Remember, this is one of those open-ended movies we get once in a-while!

From the cast, Kevin Spacey, Annette Benning, Wes Bentley and Chris Cooper were truly phenomenal in their roles as Lester Burnham, Carolyn Burnham, Ricky Fitts and Frank Fitts, respectively. I kinda found it funny when I read somewhere that the latter is gay. I think Frank was just confirming what he saw. And it proved to be wrong. Or maybe he really is, you know, in the closet. From the supporting, Mena Suvari and Thora Birch were just OK, nothing memorable and just handled their characters barely.

All in all, I don't think my analysis, or point of view of the film, holds up against the others and if you want to, you can either prove me right or wrong. American Beauty is indeed a great film but I have to see it one more time to add it to my great movies list!

8.4/10

Posted : 2 years, 8 months ago on 5 January 2012 11:21

Lester Burnham, Kevin Spacey (The Usual Suspects, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil) and Carolyn Burnham, Annette Bening (The American President) have a terrible relationship, a marriage "made in hell." As a result the family is completely dysfunctional. All the characters have something weird about them. The society they live in is imperfect, they live in a very imperfect world and the imaginative use of all the neuroses make it a great and suspenseful script, an Oscar winner. The actors were nominated for and Spacey won an Oscar. American Beauty also won Best Director, Best Picture, and Best Cinematography Oscars. I say it deserved them. It mirrors society extremely well. Carolyn Burnham represents the materialistic society we live in. She puts more value into her couch than she does to her husband. I found it interesting that all the furniture and scenes carry a lot of minimalism and simplicity. There is in contrast much going on with the characters. An instant classic, Sam Mendes' American Beauty, to me parallels Robert Redford's Ordinary People. Outside everything is beautiful and perfect but inside it is viciously ugly, full of lust and sin. That simplicity and the primary colors such a the red door, made me pay closer attention to the dialogues. I found the young adult neighbor weird as far as been a peeping Tom, but had a unique sense of beauty. I recommend this movie!

Favorite Scenes: the blowing autumn leaves, the red petals, the contrasting colors. The movie is a feast for the eyes. Well deserved best cinematography. Favorite Quote: Carolyn Burnham: "This is a four thousand dollar sofa upholstered in Italian silk. It is not just a couch." Lester Burnham:" IT'S JUST A COUCH!"

Posted : 2 years, 10 months ago on 12 October 2011 06:21

A light movie with a tragic end. A story of an american family that ends up in a tragedy. A story of lies, deception and suspicion. The epilogue of the movie has completed shifted the mood while I was going through the movie.

Posted : 3 years ago on 31 August 2011 12:29

I am so proud to have this film in my collection. It's a fantastic story, the characters couldn't have been played better and the soundtrack is perfect. I often find myself quoting from this movie, Kevin Spacey is brilliant.

Posted : 3 years, 5 months ago on 2 April 2011 06:35

A rich house in the suburbs, family, a successful career and the American Dream shines in golden, fancy the wrapping. The Sam Mendes but gets the camera, scratches valuable latent happiness coating to reveal the rotten contents of giving off the stench of fulfillment, and the incompleteness of misery, loneliness. The voice of Lester Burnham leads us from beyond the last months of a life enslaved. His first shot, his first words are introduced into an almost sapounoperiki rather ironic, surely tragic story: "Look at me, masturbate in the bathroom ... This is the highlight of the day, from now on everything is a slippery slope." The story of Alan Ball endoscopes in the microcosm of a handful of people with sometimes comic, sometimes dramatic mood, somewhere on the edge trying to discern a drop of beauty in the simplest things. As refined counterpart of Happiness Todd Solondz, its own universe is possessed of perverse obsessions but not by the hardness of the images, but focuses on a desperate attempt to ascent to the surface for a breath of fresh air that inevitably leads to drowning, the whispering apt tag line: The beauty often dazzles ... look better.

One of my favorite movies

Posted : 4 years ago on 27 August 2010 01:24

I found it was a great movie . there is some very good acting, very good direction and the story is completely captivating. What else do you need ? For once, the Academy Award had it right ! It is one of my favorite movies, a great classic and it is definitely worth a look.

American Beauty

Posted : 4 years, 4 months ago on 19 April 2010 06:22

An outstanding dark comedy about the secrets of suburban life that makes you ask the question... "How well do we know our own neighbours?" Arguably the best film of 1999. Winner of 5 Academy Awards and deservedly so. Look closer.
Starring Kevin Spacey, Annette Bening, Chris Cooper, Thora Birch, Mena Suvari, Wes Bentley.

« Prev12 Next »