Posted : 6 months ago on 18 January 2014 08:58

A visually beautiful film that is an experience that will stay with me for a very long time. Crazy experiences are told in the suburbs.

Posted : 1 year ago on 17 July 2013 04:58

An acerbic, darkly comic critique of how social conventions can lead people into false, sterile and emotionally stunted lives, "American Beauty" is a real American original. Multilayered, bracingly resourceful and tweaked to push its many brash ideas to the edge and beyond, this independent-minded feature represents a stunning card of introduction for two cinematic freshmen, screenwriter Alan Ball and director Sam Mendes.

Posted : 2 years ago on 18 July 2012 02:26

Wow, American Beauty is not just a satire of the American suburbs, but also a caricature of the whole world. Aren't we all really like this inside? I believe the characters shown in the film are really the sort of people that we cannot explain or we have them hidden somewhere at the back of our minds, while some have bought it forward, others haven't. Anyway, the Burnham's are probably the most dysfunctional family since the Sawyer's from the 70's, or maybe third to the Sitcom family. I believe the characters are not too complicated to understand and what they go through totally shows their maturity of their mind. Carolyn leads her to believe that she is the victim, even though she's not and Jane thinks that Ricky is a great person, even though he's not. I think it's all the effects of the drugs, and it has made him devoid of emotions and understanding. Also, I believe Jane to be completely confused about what's wrong and what's right and she picks the one she finds attractive.

Anyway, American Beauty is widely considered one of the greatest films of modern times and I can't help agreeing to it. It tackles issues that can be tackled but cannot be presented in such a brilliant manner as this one. The sexuality, repression, depression, loneliness, happiness, alienation, life, death and all that. I personally am a big fan of all these subjects because I can relate to it, and not just the fake-happiness, the-world-is-fine-and-nothing-is-wrong-with-it attitude many films adopt. This is almost-realistic and captures most of the feelings accurately, or at least the ones I could identify. In all, after watching this film don't be surprised if you come up with many different analysis and interpretations. Remember, this is one of those open-ended movies we get once in a-while!

From the cast, Kevin Spacey, Annette Benning, Wes Bentley and Chris Cooper were truly phenomenal in their roles as Lester Burnham, Carolyn Burnham, Ricky Fitts and Frank Fitts, respectively. I kinda found it funny when I read somewhere that the latter is gay. I think Frank was just confirming what he saw. And it proved to be wrong. Or maybe he really is, you know, in the closet. From the supporting, Mena Suvari and Thora Birch were just OK, nothing memorable and just handled their characters barely.

All in all, I don't think my analysis, or point of view of the film, holds up against the others and if you want to, you can either prove me right or wrong. American Beauty is indeed a great film but I have to see it one more time to add it to my great movies list!

8.4/10

Posted : 2 years, 6 months ago on 5 January 2012 11:21

Lester Burnham, Kevin Spacey (The Usual Suspects, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil) and Carolyn Burnham, Annette Bening (The American President) have a terrible relationship, a marriage "made in hell." As a result the family is completely dysfunctional. All the characters have something weird about them. The society they live in is imperfect, they live in a very imperfect world and the imaginative use of all the neuroses make it a great and suspenseful script, an Oscar winner. The actors were nominated for and Spacey won an Oscar. American Beauty also won Best Director, Best Picture, and Best Cinematography Oscars. I say it deserved them. It mirrors society extremely well. Carolyn Burnham represents the materialistic society we live in. She puts more value into her couch than she does to her husband. I found it interesting that all the furniture and scenes carry a lot of minimalism and simplicity. There is in contrast much going on with the characters. An instant classic, Sam Mendes' American Beauty, to me parallels Robert Redford's Ordinary People. Outside everything is beautiful and perfect but inside it is viciously ugly, full of lust and sin. That simplicity and the primary colors such a the red door, made me pay closer attention to the dialogues. I found the young adult neighbor weird as far as been a peeping Tom, but had a unique sense of beauty. I recommend this movie!

Favorite Scenes: the blowing autumn leaves, the red petals, the contrasting colors. The movie is a feast for the eyes. Well deserved best cinematography. Favorite Quote: Carolyn Burnham: "This is a four thousand dollar sofa upholstered in Italian silk. It is not just a couch." Lester Burnham:" IT'S JUST A COUCH!"

Posted : 2 years, 9 months ago on 12 October 2011 06:21

A light movie with a tragic end. A story of an american family that ends up in a tragedy. A story of lies, deception and suspicion. The epilogue of the movie has completed shifted the mood while I was going through the movie.

Posted : 2 years, 10 months ago on 31 August 2011 12:29

I am so proud to have this film in my collection. It's a fantastic story, the characters couldn't have been played better and the soundtrack is perfect. I often find myself quoting from this movie, Kevin Spacey is brilliant.

Posted : 3 years, 3 months ago on 2 April 2011 06:35

A rich house in the suburbs, family, a successful career and the American Dream shines in golden, fancy the wrapping. The Sam Mendes but gets the camera, scratches valuable latent happiness coating to reveal the rotten contents of giving off the stench of fulfillment, and the incompleteness of misery, loneliness. The voice of Lester Burnham leads us from beyond the last months of a life enslaved. His first shot, his first words are introduced into an almost sapounoperiki rather ironic, surely tragic story: "Look at me, masturbate in the bathroom ... This is the highlight of the day, from now on everything is a slippery slope." The story of Alan Ball endoscopes in the microcosm of a handful of people with sometimes comic, sometimes dramatic mood, somewhere on the edge trying to discern a drop of beauty in the simplest things. As refined counterpart of Happiness Todd Solondz, its own universe is possessed of perverse obsessions but not by the hardness of the images, but focuses on a desperate attempt to ascent to the surface for a breath of fresh air that inevitably leads to drowning, the whispering apt tag line: The beauty often dazzles ... look better.

One of my favorite movies

Posted : 3 years, 10 months ago on 27 August 2010 01:24

I found it was a great movie . there is some very good acting, very good direction and the story is completely captivating. What else do you need ? For once, the Academy Award had it right ! It is one of my favorite movies, a great classic and it is definitely worth a look.

American Beauty

Posted : 4 years, 3 months ago on 19 April 2010 06:22

An outstanding dark comedy about the secrets of suburban life that makes you ask the question... "How well do we know our own neighbours?" Arguably the best film of 1999. Look closer.
Winner of 5 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Actor (Kevin Spacey).
Starring Kevin Spacey, Annette Bening, Chris Cooper, Thora Birch, Mena Suvari, Wes Bentley. 9.6/10

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world.

Posted : 4 years, 3 months ago on 9 April 2010 09:57

''It was one of those days when it's a minute away from snowing and there's this electricity in the air, you can almost hear it. And this bag was, like, dancing with me. Like a little kid begging me to play with it. For fifteen minutes. And that's the day I knew there was this entire life behind things, and... this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever. Video's a poor excuse, I know. But it helps me remember... and I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in.''

Lester Burnham, a depressed suburban father in a mid-life crisis, decides to turn his hectic life around after developing an infatuation for his daughter's attractive friend. While his daughter forms a bond with the new boy in her neighborhood...

Kevin Spacey: Lester Burnham

Annette Bening: Carolyn Burnham

American Beauty, right from the start tells me form the perfect narration by Kevin Spacey that this is going to be a powerful film and story and boy is it...

A lesson in life, this comes so close into a glimpse of what life is. Character's are not cut outs but living breathing souls that you care about, that you can relate too. All the cast including director Sam Mendes have succeeded in crafting a world which reflects our own so well.
The score, the music all add to the beauty of it. Powerful camera work which is neatly shot and smooth. Transitions flow consistently, while the story shifts between characters to obtain diversity.

This film should affect everyone who sees it because anyone can relate to it's intricate curving and believable characters. American Beauty is actually a social satire of suburban America. These people have an image of what they are "supposed" to be implanted in their brains. One day Lester (Kevin Spacey), snaps out of it. Lester realizes there is more out there than a dead end job, a wife who bosses him around and is obsessed with material possessions, but more importantly Lester realizes there is more in him. As Lester starts to change himself, it also affects his environment. His wife Carolyn (Annette Benning) is totally thrown off keel by his actions. Lester has discovered that they are not the average middle class suburban family but a completely unique group of human beings. When he tries to get this message across to Carolyn, she rejects him, has an affair, and convinces herself she is the victim. Lester and Carolyn's message and the main message of the movie is that we all wear masks, put up visages. Thus unless we become ourselves, we can never truly be happy. It is said multiple times in the film that it would be terrible to be ordinary.

Now, there is a second message. A parallel story is being told. That of Lester's daughter Jane and her boyfriend Ricky. While these two stories are deeply intertwined and connect with each other, Ricky and Jane's message is equally important. Ricky lives in a world of beauty. Beauty is everywhere and in everything. Jane, who at the beginning of the film believes she is ordinary and plain, is brought into this world by Ricky and is shown how much she has to offer. Their message is that there is beauty in everything and all you have to do is look for it.

Kevin Spacey was phenomenal in this, he really was. As was Wes Bentley, this however, his portrayal of his character Ricky Fitts, shows me what a good actor he is. His weirdness and way of shooting things is interesting while his relationship with Jane is touching indeed.
I'm glad the ending was realistic and it added a more meaningful punch to a masterpiece that is defined by it's careful grasp at it's subject, life...

« Prev12 Next »