An average movie

Posted : 6 years, 10 months ago on 16 January 2011 11:33

When I first heard about this flick, I thought it sounded really awesome. Indeed, the concept was pretty neat and, above all, there was a masssive stellar cast involved (Dirk Bogarde, Sean Connery, Ryan O'Neal, Gene Hackman, Michael Caine, Anthony Hopkins, James Caan, Liv Ullmann, Elliott Gould, Laurence Olivier, Robert Redford).  Eventually, I know it is a big classic but, to be honest,  I thought it was actually rather underwhelming. I don’t know, it has been a while since I have seen this flick and maybe I should give a second chance but, to be honest, the first time around, I thought that the story was just rather dull.  I mean, basically, you spend almost 3 very long hours watching a botched war mission and the only fun I really had was spotting all the celebrities popping up every 5 minutes. According to the many fans, the whole thing was actually about the futility of war but I didn’t really get that feeling while watching this and I had a rather hard time to care about a mission which failed miserably and seemed rather misguided right from the very start. Anyway, to conclude, even though I didn’t like it much, it is still pretty much a classic so I think it is worth a look, especially if you like the genre.