71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance (1994)

Posted : 2 years, 6 months ago on 27 January 2012 04:10

"71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance" "is the third part of Haneke's trilogy about the violence in modern society. Although this time does not develop a single story, but several, in the end will match much of their different players in one dramatic point.

Also for this reason, the movie shows a broader records, but always with an overview of the problems that afflict developed societies: isolation, aggression, lack of values​​, boredom, fear, rejection ... and again violence, carried to its logical, and dramatic response to a very complex conflict solution.

The way of putting it is always characteristic of Haneke film, through close-ups, sometimes sharp, sometimes painful and always marked by a sharp social criticism. But as the director he once stated:
"... My movies are a slap in the face."

A good movie

Posted : 2 years, 7 months ago on 28 December 2011 10:00

I'm a huge fan of Michael Haneke so I was really eager to check this flick. As usual, Haneke didn't disappoint me. It was interesting to see how similar it was to 'Elephant', directed 10 years later by Gus van Sant. Indeed, the subject is similar and they both take the same approach to display the events without explaining them. The big difference was that Haneke has chosen to display the different characters who would be eventually involved in this tragedy. I must admit I was wondering where the whole thing was going but it became really clear at the end. It is also a rather depressing movie to watch as all the characters are so sad and no one of them seem to live a happy life. Maybe Haneke wanted to display that in our modern age, ruled by computers and televisions, it has become really difficult to connect with a one and another and, some of us who cannot cope anymore, chose to end it all in mayhem. Of course, it is a personal theory and I may miss the point completely. Anyway, like all Haneke's features, it is an acquired taste but I really liked it and it is definitely worth a look.