Added by the giraffe on 28 Dec 2011 11:45
1294 Views 10 Comments

My 2011 movie year in review

Add header image

Choose file... or enter url:
Sort by: Showing 1-50 of 54
Decade: Rating: List Type:
Add items to section

Top films seen per month

People who added this item 1250 Average listal rating (733 ratings) 8.1 IMDB Rating 8.1
January pick

After coming across rave reviews for Mary and Max all over Listal during the course of 2010, I decided I needed to check it out. Simply put, this is one of the best films I've ever seen. Brilliantly written with a perfect mix of darkness and comedy...the characters come off as completely real despite being created out of clay...the adult subject matter handled with intelligence.... It's so true to life, without coming off as pretentious or playing out like a documentary. I enjoyed this movie so much that I've left it in my Netflix instant queue until they either remove it or I buy my own copy (whichever happens first).

See also: Best of 00s

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 2147 Average listal rating (1264 ratings) 7.8 IMDB Rating 8
February pick

See also: Hopes, wishes, dreams... by AgentLexi
and
Classic Terry Gilliam Filmmaking by PvtCaboose91
March pick

See also: Review by JxSxPx

Runner up:
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 244 Average listal rating (104 ratings) 8 IMDB Rating 7.9
April pick

A Fritz Lang masterpiece that deserves more recognition. The performances here are excellent, the story is compelling, and there are some impressive moments of comic relief sprinkled throughout.

See also: Listal 16 Day Movie Meme - jaytoast since he's the one who encouraged me to watch this movie

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1718 Average listal rating (1130 ratings) 6.4 IMDB Rating 6.5
May pick

The performances are top-notch (I especially enjoyed seeing Bruce Willis play against his usual type), the effects/make-up are great, and there were some added touches along the way that I really dug. Good stuff all around.

See also: Best movies of 1992

June pick

Easily the best romantic film I saw all year. I got lost in the conversations, caught up in the emotions, & the ending was pure perfection.

See also: Few things the giraffe loves about cinema

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 626 Average listal rating (348 ratings) 8.1 IMDB Rating 8.1
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 382 Average listal rating (221 ratings) 7.6 IMDB Rating 7.8
August pick

From my 2011 pt. 2 list: Of all people, my mom originally recommended this one to me...she rarely watches movies anymore due to her dislike for graphic content and general disinterest in the movies she sees advertised. Anyway, for several years now she's occasionally reminded me that I needed to watch Wait Until Dark, and I've kept forgetting about it. I am an idiot for doing so.

Admittedly the situations are a bit unbelievable, but the dialogue and characters ring true enough throughout and the suspense is so well-done that it's easily forgiven. Alan Arkin's Mr. Roat is now among my all-time favorite villains, and Wait Until Dark has earned a place among my all-time favorite films.

Listen to your mother. ;)

See also: Swingin' films of the '60s

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1402 Average listal rating (802 ratings) 8.2 IMDB Rating 8.5
September pick

Watched after it was recommended to me by AFIoscar. A beautiful love letter to cinema and a wonderful story about love & friendship & growing up. Beyond that it's hard to put my feelings about this film into words, so I'll simply say that you should go watch it.

See also: Best movies of 1988

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 607 Average listal rating (352 ratings) 7.7 IMDB Rating 7.7
October pick

Easily the best film watched during my October 2011 Horrorfest. Thanks goes out to the Listal community in general for bringing the film to my attention, as well as to all the Listal members that created Horror-focused lists in October all of which helped elevate my sense of community here (links provided to each list from my own).

November pick

The story unfolds in a way that's nigh impossible to predict where it's going, every character seems to get an epic introductory scene, the music is phenomenal, the performances are great...yeah, I can't really think of any negatives here. The only reason I've given it a 9 instead of a 10 is because I read up on the film after the fact & found out it references a slew of other westerns. Since I've seen exactly none of the films it references, I'd like to watch some (if not all) of said films before I watch this one again just so I'll have a greater appreciation for what Leone has done here.

See also: West side story. by AgentLexi

Best non-movie:
December pick

The fact that I'm generally not a fan of Christmas movies should say something about my choosing this film as my favorite for December. Of course it was also the only film I watched all month that earned a 10/10 from me.

See also: Pre-1950s favorite films

Hidden gems

Movies I highly enjoyed that few people are likely to have seen (all of these currently have less than 200 people on Listal that have seen them).

Films listed elsewhere that otherwise would have appeared here: The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, Maniac, Anguish, Wait Until Dark, & everything listed in my "Top Docs" section below.
Add items to section

Repertory films caught on the big screen

While I didn't make it out to the theatre for many new films in 2011, I did manage to make it out a few times to catch movies I hadn't seen before from previous years (or else hadn't seen on a big screen before) at Austin's Alamo Drafthouse.

Listed in chronological order of when I saw them.

Top Docs

I saw a fair share of documentaries in 2011. Here's the best of the bunch.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 111 Average listal rating (80 ratings) 7.3 IMDB Rating 7.8
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 361 Average listal rating (223 ratings) 6.9 IMDB Rating 7.1
Catfish (2010)
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 36 Average listal rating (21 ratings) 7.4 IMDB Rating 6.7

Worst watched in 2011

All of these I either abandoned without finishing or suffered throughout my viewing experience. None of these films are worth mentioning, aside from to direct your attention away from them. Think of this as my community service. Avoid avoid avoid.
Load more items (4 more in this list)

I didn't make it out to the theatre for new movies as often as I wanted to in 2011, mostly due to having an infant at home & no nearby relatives to help babysit. So as 2011 drew to a close I saw no point in making a Best movies of 2011 list as it would be incomplete. Instead, here's my focus on the highlights (and lowlights) of the year from what I did see, without limiting it to 2011 releases.

Related lists:
Watched in 2011 (pt. 1)
Watched in 2011 pt. 2
October 2011 Horrorfest
DVDecember 2011

All of the above contain the full range of movies I watched in 2011, with accompanying notes.

2011 stats:
Number of films watched by decade...
1920s – 2
1970s – 24
1980s – 45
1990s – 37
2000s – 67
2010s – 40 (8 of which were 2011 releases)
(numbers do not include multiple views of the same film)

Breakdown of film ratings...
10/10 - 26
4/10 - 10
3/10 - 0
2/10 - 6
1/10 - 6

Most films watched in a single month: 53 (Jan)
Least films watched in a single month: 10 (Nov)
Total films watched: 256

Added to

the giraffe's movie lists guide (142 lists)
list by the giraffe
Published 6 years, 4 months ago 1 comment
the giraffe's lists for 2011 (10 lists)
list by the giraffe

34 votes 21 comments
Seen in 2011
134 item list by CRza
20 votes 7 comments
31 Days of Horror (Halloween 2016)
47 item list by becca85
Movie Diary: 2011
132 item list by Hiramunda
My movie year 2011 (tai jotakin)
482 item list by Kurkkuharja
26 votes 6 comments
2011 At the Movies
50 item list by Xanadon't
19 votes 6 comments

View more top voted lists

Comments

Posted: 6 years, 6 months ago at Jan 1 20:03
This list is incredible. Great way to start a new year ;) Good job, and Happy New Year!
Posted: 6 years, 6 months ago at Jan 2 6:07
Dial M for Murder is one of my favorites
The Dr Phibes movies were some of Hammer's worst
Carnival of Souls takes a little patience, I know,...
If you want to see a good version of Casino Royale, try to catch the made-for-TV version from the late 50s.
Posted: 6 years, 6 months ago at Jan 2 8:22
Yay, nice list. It is nice to sort out the year and look at the films watched. Glad to see The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, see... not all my movie tastes are horrible ;)
Posted: 6 years, 6 months ago at Jan 2 12:19
Great list! I had thought about doing something very similar. Don't know that I'm gonna get around to it though :(

Dig the "runners up" format. Well done!

Ouch, tough seeing a number of films I enjoyed to various degrees give the Avoid-At-All-Costs treatment. But it's okay. I forgive you :P

Ha, but seriously, I always respect the honesty you go into movies with and come away from movies with. Your take is always interesting no matter how your opinion lines up with my own.

256 is pretty darn respectable! Nicely done. And whoa! Didn't realize you had a 53-film January!
Posted: 6 years, 6 months ago at Jan 2 13:36
And I'm also happy to see that you liked Diabolique! And I'm glad to see that you have included Mary and Max, while I didn't enjoy it as much as you did, it was certainly a sweet film. :)

Happy new year!
Posted: 6 years, 6 months ago at Jan 2 16:29
Great list. Thanks :)
Posted: 6 years, 6 months ago at Jan 4 22:34
Saw Max and Mary because of this list. Loved it!
Posted: 6 years, 6 months ago at Jan 5 11:17
Awesome list! I see some very fine films here. It's too bad that you didn't like Carnival of Souls, though. I personally loved it. ;)
Posted: 5 years, 9 months ago at Sep 28 12:44
I really like this list! Nice work.