Express Yourself is considered Madonna's greatest video of the 1980s. It is also a COMPLETE RIP OFF of Fritz Lang's "Metropolis". If Lady Gaga did a similar video using an old Hollywood film the press, Madonna fans and Camille Paglia would flip out. Here are two videos and an essay detailing the plagiarism:
Ken Russell apart from being one of history's greatest film directors and a treasure to Great Britain, was radically challenging the Catholic Church in the 1970s with "The Devils" and "Tommy". Madonna and crud "costume designer" Arianne Phillips blatantly stole Ann-Margaret's white satin room and character Nora Walker from Ken's interpretation of The Who's rock Opera "Tommy" for her Confessions looks. Arianne Phillips is just a vile copycat! The light up life size crosses from Ken Russell's interpretation of the rock opera "Tommy" (as well as the conversion scene in "Mahler") and tons of other imagery. Much of The Confessions era "imagery" was nearly all stolen from Tommy, Mahler, Donna Summer, Amanda Lear and Kylie.
As a very vocal advocate of the restoration and reappraisal of Ken Russell's unparalleled 60 year career this makes me very angry.
For some amazingly convenient reason this song which preceded Madonna's copy cat song, is still unknown in the States. Madonna steals ideas when a cultural trend from poorer artists is brought to fruition, willi ninja and other true dancers worked on Voguing and perfected it, madonna just stole something after it had the final touches.
Worst Steven Meisel cleavage madonna photoshop fake EVER below. Photos of the very small Madonna pathetically trying to be the buxotic hourglass Mansfield would have been more professional if they'd painted in an entire black magic marker against Madonna's bony chest.
(Hint-Retouching a big thick black shadow on a body builder's chest and "smudging the shadows" is not "cleavage" and Jayne was not cut with bicep bulge and lats!)
Madonna is severely lacking in many key Mansfield features.
The Madonna album version of "Erotica" samples "El Yom 'Ulliqa 'Ala Khashaba" ("Today, He Is Held to a Cross") by Lebanese singer Fairuz from her 1962 album Good Friday - Eastern Sacred Songs. Madonna used that prayer more prominently in her "The Beast Within" track. Fairuz sued Madonna for $2.5 million for plagiarism over the section/sampling. In "Erotica", Madonna repeatedly chants over Fairuz's voice "All over me". An undisclosed settlement was eventually reached between Fairuz and Madonna, but the scandal caused both the single and the album to be banned in Lebanon.
EXPRESS YOUR CHEAT: MADONNA EXPOSED LEGALLY FOR MUSIC PLAGIARISM:
On November 18, 2005, a Belgian judge seated in Mons ruled that the opening four-bar theme to Madonna's "Frozen" was plagiarized from the song "Ma vie fout le camp", composed by Salvatore Acquaviva of Mouscron. The judge subsequently ordered the withdrawal from sales of all remaining discs, and forbade any further playing of the song on Belgian TV and radio. The judge also ordered Warner, EMI and Sony to publish and spread the decision within fifteen days to various media outlets on pain of a penalty of €125,000 for non-compliance with the court order.
The Belgian radio station Donna held a Top 5000 music chart program from 17 November to 12 December 2008. The song "Frozen" reached place 143, but because of the legal status of the song it could not be played. The radio hosts asked their listeners to watch the music video on YouTube, while there was approximately 5 minutes of radio silence. The song is omitted from the tracklisting on the Belgian pressings of Celebration.
Mar 18 1998
Madonna's publicist confirms that two lines in the chorus of "Sky Fits Heaven," a song on Madonna's new "Ray of Light" album, are taken from a 1993 TV ad for the Gap starring poet Max Blagg.
Blagg's poem included the lines, "Sky fits heaven so fly it, Child fits mother so hold your baby tight." Madonna's song includes both lines, changing the first to "Sky fits heaven so ride it."
Representatives for Madonna say Blagg agreed to a deal where he was paid for the use of the lyrics, but gets no credit on the track. Blagg was unavailable for comment.
Meanwhile, manufacturers of Magnetic Poetry -- those magnetic word bits usually seen gracing refrigerators and file cabinets -- are claiming that the Material Girl could have used one of its boxed kits to write "Candy Perfume Girl," another song off "Ray of Light."
An employee for Magnetic Poetry noticed the similarities between the lyrics for "Girl" and the words included in one of their products, and the company noted in a press release that less than 4% of the song's words are not found in one of their poetry kits. A spokesperson for Madonna said the singer denied ever having heard of Magnetic Poetry.
MADONNA STOLE AMANDA LEAR'S LOOK 100% for her 1970s Euro Disco "Confessions Era" THEFT. Madonna lifts entire looks from other icons and then the press and fans marvel at her "innovation and creativity". BS!
As one Lear fan wrote: " Madonna is all repackaged purloined hype with no substance. Sure at face value Lear is campy, but if you actually pay attention to the music and the words these are really good songs. Amanda Lear is a fantastic lyricist. The verses and her delivery are brilliant. Meanwhile, Madonna can't write for sh**".
Madonna had always HATED the UK. Then in the mid 90s, her big disco trash scene in Miami got REALLY, sleazy and questionable (even for her) so she suddenly decided to run over to London and pretend she was British- dressing like HRH Diana and eventually exploiting her tragic death with a tacky video and hypocritical speech about the "insatiable need for hype and gossip". Madonna slagged council housing numerous times as well as the NHS, happily insulting the millions of fans who may happen to need both public housing and socialized medicine.
Madonna and Jonas "Derek Jarman Rip Off" Aukerland copied the work of director Stefano Salvati. "Ray of Light" is exactly like a clip Salvati once submitted to the former Madonna-owned, Maverick Records. The music video he directed featured Italian singer Biagio Antonacci's performing "Non e Mai Stato Subito." The videos feature Antonacci cavorting and dancing at regular speed against a high-speed background. Madonna lifted all that and the clouds and dreamlike quality because she's rip off. See for yourself:
Above: the living embodiment of Starbucks poser punk
Madonna called one of her Confessions tour segments:
"Never Mind The Bollocks"!!!! RIP OFF!
In an interview excerpt, Lydon reflects:
Yeah, well that’s typical Madonna isn’t it? Let’s face it she gets everything out of someone else’s catalogue.
Interviewer: Has she? You’re not a fan of Madonna’s?
John Lydon: Who would be? I’ve, you know, I love early 40’s movies, I love those style of clothes, I like what us punks used to wear and then when I see it regurgitated on her, I’m not so happy. Alright. She’s not exactly the voice of originality. This is a woman who, well, a couple of years back um, we approached her hubby, you know with view to um, maybe editing, directing a film of my life story based on my book, “ No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs” The curt reply was they’d never heard of me.
Interviewer: They didn’t say that. Madonna? Was it Guy something, what’s his name?
Actually, madonna did make one very stupid attempt at copying Sophia. Sophia Loren is my most favourite actress so this makes me particularly peeved but thankfully (for Madonna's sake) she wisely gave up. Sophia Loren fans are very protective and love her dearly. We are like no other fans.
Back in the 1980s Madonna had "one of Sophia Loren's gowns flown in" for her first Vanity Fair shoots (above right). As one can see there is enough material left in the bust of the dress to house a family of five because Madonna could not/can't fill it.
Sophia Loren, an amazing actress with one, if not thee, most beautiful face in history is a mint ORIGINAL goddess that Madonna could not even replicate with high end computer retouching much less swimming in one of her gowns so she backed down from any further copy paste after this.
(Above: Shoes Madonna will NEVER fill. Goddess Sophia is the opposite of Mangey Madge in every way imaginable.)
Jean Seberg. Madonna deliberately copied her gamine look (hair, striped shirt) in the Papa Don't Preach video. Why was Madonna pretending to be a pregnant teen with her teddy bear when she was 28 years old?
Guess we all know which issue of Vanity Fair Gary Glitter owns. Madonna stole Sue Lyons ENTIRE Kubrick's Lolita look when at the age of 35, Madonna in all her sheer grotesqueness posed as an under age girl looking overtly sexual. Madonna's face was already lined, wrinkle and haggard far beyond her years so the pics were heavily softened and retouched. In the digital era madonna NEVER would have been able to get away the sexualization of children's imagery-that or she'd be competing with Katy Perry.
THIS IS THE BASIC DESIGN FOR THE "ICONIC CONE CORSET" THAT WAS TOTALLY COPIED BY MADONNA AND JEAN PAUL GAULTIER. In 1989, Lisa Marie, a drop dead beautiful Robert Mappelthorpe and Calvin Klein model travelled in the same NYC circles as Madonna and appeared in widely circulated Details magazine swimsuit spread in a conical bra corset style one piece by Sun Blush. THIS IS CLEARLY THE DESIGN THAT MADONNA RIPPED OFF. Lisa was the hottest, bustiest and the nearest to the 50s bombshells of anyone on the scene in the late 80s, (a million times more than Madonna could ever dream of being) so it is clear from where Madonna and Gautier hijacked Lisa's Ballistic Missile bra look for her Blond Ambition tour a year later.
(Above right and directly above right-more magic marker "cleavage" by Meisel)
Whatever film was getting buzz in Hollywood Madonna just HAD to become a copy cat parasite of! And BOTH of the hottest films of 1990 (Henry and June and Dangerous Liaisons) just happened to star Uma Thurman!
It must have killed Madonna with jealousy when Uma Thurman burst on the scene in the late 80's. She was 18, intelligent, busty, blond, beautiful, six feet tall and most of all one of the cinema's greatest actresses. She was also hot enough to melt down the ratings system into the wonderful NC17 which created a halfway between X rated porn and and R Rated film. The first NC17 film was called "Henry and June" and it was a 1930s erotic tale of Paris loosely based on the book of the same name by the French author Anaïs Nin. With bisexuality, tasteful explicit sex and stunningly beautiful imagery the film was hugely controversial. Madonna stole BLATANTLY from Henry And June to create the pathetic "Justify My Love" video AND her 1991 shoot for Rolling Stone. The setting of the RST shoot is virtually a copy paste of Henry and June down to the satin slips, 30s eyebrows, circular restaurant booths, contortionism, Uma as June's heavy stare and bisexuality.
Madonna ALSO ripped off the "Dangerous Liaisons" film costume for her tired lip synch performance of the song "Vogue" at the 1990 MTV VMAs!!
Soon after this, Madonna desperately wanted to eclipse Sharon Stone who had shocked and turned on the world as Catherine Tramell in "Basic Instinct". And after seeing Jennifer Jason Leigh in the brilliant Uli Edel's "Last Exit to Brooklyn" she made the widely panned borderline hardcore film "Body of Evidence" with him.
From the UK Telegraph:"Back in the autumn of 2005, Madonna invited Alison Goldfrapp, former convent-school girl, two-million-record-selling singer and extremely reluctant celebrity, to a party. A few months earlier, Madonna had been photographed taking Supernature, Alison's then current album, to a Pilates class; at the party, she clasped Alison's hand, and told her she just loved it. Not long afterwards, Alison was reading a magazine and came across a picture of her recent host wearing a sexy outfit with a jaunty military wedge cap. It was almost identical to one that Alison - who is known for her original stage costumes - had been filmed and photographed in while promoting Supernature.
'I thought, "No - it's Madonna! Why would she…"' Alison says, bemused, when asked about her influence on Madonna and, indeed, several other global superstars. 'I don't quite believe it. It's flattering, you know, but… too weird.' Alison Goldfrapp's speech tends to trail off embarrassedly when you ask her questions like this, but they are justified - at one point Madonna's shift in music and style prompted music industry people to refer to her as 'Oldfrapp'."
A copy paste of Henry and June right down to the contortionist! (Above right, Steven Meisel's magic marker "cleavage" actually starts at the neck muscle here...) I could not locate a screen cap of the scene in H&J when Anais and June make out in the bar/brothel but the booth and mirror are identical to what Madonna and Meisel stole.
As stated Madonna STOLE the Henry and June imagery for Justify My Love and for her 1991 shoot for Rolling Stone. In Henry and June, Maria de Medeiros played Anaïs Nin who becomes involved in said tormented relationship, having an affair with Henry Miller and also pursuing June. Must have destroyed Madonna that she was not cast in this film.
In 1983, Nastassja Kinski wore an astonishing sheer black lace dress for a wickedly sexy and bizarre shoot with the late high class porn/erotic photographer Helmut Newton. As one can see, even with the addition of really obvious and amateurish retouching in the form of a smudged black crescent at her left armpit, madonna is a joke.
Wore fetish and PVC before madonna did. Nina Hagen was simply far too unique, out there and authentic to make fetish a Wal mart brand like Madonna sadly did.
From Madonna Revelations Blogspot:
"This time she took the look of a German born punk/rock singer Nina Hagen. You may think she did not know about this woman but just think again: in the 80s, Nina Hagen had moved to U.S... conveniently around the time Madonna landed New York's music scene... Back in those days, Madonna was struggling and learning, her style was also more punkish as she was imitating Chrissie Hynde's style and sound. In addition to (most likely) hanging in the very same clubs Nina Hagen might have, a Red Hot Chili Peppers singer Anthony Kiedis dated Hagen through 1984-1985...Madonna knew about her, so... when Madonna decided to wear a pink wig while promoting Like A Virgin in Europe, the connection was more than obvious."
ALSO ripped off and stole the cone bra from Bettie Page. Despite Meisel's awful photoshop, they have 100% OPPOSITE FIGURES. Madonna stole most of what she used in the SEX book from her pre-internet when Page was mostly still an underground cult icon (yes Bettie page was not a household name in the 1990s) of pin-up aficionados and not the huge mainstream icon she is today.
This is a classic example of Meisel and Mange stealing obscure references and giving zero credit. This is one of the most vile and heavily retouched pictures of Madonna there is- more a fabrication than a photograph.
Gwen Wong , Playmate of the Month 1967 is 1967 million times hotter!
"I was shocked when I saw Siouxsie at Screen on The Green. This was still before John and I were close. She was walking around wearing some suspenders and a bra with her whole tits out. I was stunned. How could she have the nerve? I think she contributed a lot to the free woman's movement. Madonna got it all from Siouxsie, who was totally on her own then."
from John Lydon's autobiography
"No, Blacks, No Irish , No Dogs"
The late, great and much missed Wendy O Williams, Queen of ShockRock and lead singer of the punk/metal rock group the Plasmatics. The first female singer to ever simulate masturbation on stage, a dubious honour perhaps but Wendy came from true fetish, punk and sex performance/industrial art culture and it was her life NOT a costume or a disposable fad to make money.
Wendy was brutally beaten by police officers and harassed during numerous performance yet there were no cultural critics, feminist elites and media surrounding her with the kind of protection that Madonna received. Wendy O was a true hardcore rocker with one of thee most perfect bodies in showbiz history (Google pics I'm not exaggerating) and Madonna stole her open cupped, bare breasted, nudity in public shock value, leather holster 100%. Wendy O did ALL the sex onstage shock first and it was powerful as hell. (Too bad Madonna did not steal some of Wendy O's humanity and animal activism as well.)
Out of all the people on this page, this rip off is perhaps the most unjust. Therefore, I cannot on principal allow a comparison picture of Madonna and her sad leather harnessed norks on the Gaultier runway with that "just ate dog excrement" smirk across her face alongside a pic of the beautiful Wendy O Williams.
Vogue is considered Madonna's "finest, iconic video" and is comprised of nearly all STOLEN IMAGES!! Even if you don't think this is stolen, and only a "homage to old Hollywood" there is NOTHING original about ANY of it.
The public enmasse were mostly done with Madge over in the states so she started stealing video concepts from Brits. In between rip offs she issued statements about how "ugly and Soviet like" council housing is and who "antiquated and Victorian" the NHS is. Madonna is truly the lowest form of life to take unneeded nasty jabs at the poor and working classes.
Madonna does a terrible imitation of the Cincetta goddesses and as an Italian myself this does not surprise me- you have to be NATURAL. Madonna lacks the natural lushness of the 1950s Italian Goddesses and is more of a precursor to Jersey Shore. She was at least not stupid enough to attempt Sophia Loren whom, as with La Lollo and Claudia Cardinale, physically and talent wise she is the complete opposite of in every way.
Madonna will never the ability to create the kind of music that Debbie Harry has made-with or without Blondie. Parallel Lines, Eat to The Beat, Auto American and even Hunter are seminal, ground breaking albums that fused all styles and genres of music-more works of art and craftsmanship than Rock music-yet Blondie was an authentic rock band too. Harry's solo disc, "Koo Koo" was authentic and eccentric art rock right down to the awesome H.R. Giger portrait. Madonna just will never measure up to her originality and what Debbie Harrry represents to music history.
THERE WOULD BE NO LADY GAGA, NO BRITNEY, NO GWEN STEFANI, NO KATY PAYOLA AND NO MADONNA WITHOUT DEBBIE HARRY!
Blondie singer Debbie Harry has RIGHTLY accused Madonna of stealing her look when she rose to fame in the 1980s.
Harry was an up-and-coming musician when Madonna became a pop sensation with her self-titled debut album in 1982,she stole the idea for her platinum blonde hairdo from Debbie Harry. 100% RIP OFF!
She says, "I came right up against the Madonna thing...she had a lot of my looks. If you look closely, sometimes there's pictures of her and me that completely overlap."
ONE DOES NOT HAVE TO LOOK CLOSELY! MADONNA IS A RIP OFF ARTIST!
Madonna has NOTHING close to the hourglass figure, face, talent and voice of Marilyn.
From Huffington Post member, The Eye Roller:
"Besides "Material Girl" video, Madonna copied Marilyn Monroe's appearance at "How To Marry A Millionaire" première when she performed at the 1991 Oscars which was also a rip off of Marilyn from start to finish; copied many MM photos in April 1991 issue of Vanity Fair; copied one of MM's looks in "Bus Stop" on Truth Or Dare posters (aka In Bed With Madonna); copied MM's April 1952 Life Magazine cover in a scene from Who's That Girl; copied MM riding a circus elephant (same exact costume) in a Japanese TV commercial; copied 1960s MM in Hard Candy promotional photos.
Copying the same star on and off for 30 years is called a RIP OFF, NOT a tribute, NOT an inspiration."
Factor in TWO SNL appearances, the Marilyn COPY PASTE folly that went into major motion picture Dick Tracy, Shanghai Surprise, Who's that Girl etc and the above quote by The Eye Roller says it ALL.
Rip of off Ann as Nora Walker doing "Smash The Mirror" from Tommy right down to the medallions on the maxi dress! The art direction for the "TV Studio" and "Uncle Ernie" sequence is combined and lifted as well. PLAGIARISM and one that few of her fans under 30 would catch as most are familiar with Tommy the stage play not the film. Even the white satin curtains were stolen. The late, great Shirley Russell (the Edith Head of British costumers) created the costumes for Tommy and deserves credit for ALL of this! Madonna assumes that her under 30 fans will never have seen Tommy and any of her older fans who have will not care.
Another huge rip off that went unnoticed was Madonna's theft of the "Little Bird" video concept from the mid 1990s where all of Annie's previous video personas appear and she fights them. Madonna used this EXACT SAME CONCEPT on one of her later tours.
Dita Parlo was a 1930s German film actress. In more recent times, she has been ripped by Madonna, who said she had been "fascinated" by Parlo, and took her name for the character she created ("created"?)for her Sex book and Erotica album. Its title track commences with the line "My name is Dita, I'll be your mistress tonight... "
Madonna's ENTIRE "Sooner or Later" number at the 1991 Oscars was a complete rip off of Monroe's number "Specialization" from "Let's Make Love".
Rachel Williams was a model who was everywhere in the late 80s- mid 90's and she modelled the silver Bob Mackie Marilyn Monroe gown in a very popular Fall 1990 issue of US Elle. Madonna desperately tried to copy her Bob Mackie gown look, but as usual, Madonna just couldn't measure up to the precedent of the original. Although the dress has built in push up padding, Madonna gave the impression of as square body builder in a yellow wig.
She cannot pull off old Hollywood despite what the media has always claimed.
"Justify My Love" was written by Lenny Kravitz, Ingrid Chavez and Madonna. Kravitz wrote the song for Madonna, based on a poem written by friend and Prince protégé Ingrid Chavez. Kravitz added the title hook and chorus. Madonna contributed a few lines. Chavez was not credited for the song and later sued Kravitz in 1992. She received an out-of-court settlement, and gained a co-writing credit. Madonna sampled the intro found on Public Enemy's instrumental, "Security of the First World", and used it as the basis of the song without permission.
Ugly, loser Madonna fans have been trying to hide the truth and have had 200 photos removed so now List is in the process of being moved.
MADONNA QUEEN OF RIP OFFS AND HYPOCRITES
"Gaga has borrowed so heavily from Madonna (as in her latest video-Alejandro) that it must be asked, at what point does homage become theft?"
Yes, and that's what we we're wondering as well. So if Madonna duplicates another public figure's entire look that is a "reinvention" and when she so obviously lifts or combines the original ideas of others then that constitutes an "homage" but if Lady Gaga is inspired by other artists in a similar way then that's a "copy" and a "rip off of Madonna"? Pitiful. As for "Lady gaga copying Madonna" Madonna is the only one of the two who has paid out due to LEGAL ACTION to compensate others for plagiarism (music AND art direction) after being successfully sued. Notice how no interviewer ever brings these truths up yet Madonna fans claim that the "press is so mean to her.."
"Yeah, well that’s typical Madonna isn’t it? Let’s face it she gets everything out of someone else’s catalogue."
-John Lydon of The Sex Pistols and PIL
Take the blinders off people, LADY GAGA DOES NOT "steal" from Madonna because Madonna stole BLATANTLY from EVERYONE ELSE FIRST. This is the first comprehensive list ever compiled of artists and the famous names that Madonna has blatantly stolen from. Some rip offs are very obvious and some are very sneaky as they come from very obscure sources. A HUGE thank you to Flea Dip anti-Madonna website, Copydonna/Somebody and Madonna Revelations Blogspot.
Observations after compiling this list and going over many Madonna photos:
1. Madonna has never "reinvented herself" once. Reinvention is becoming a different person than you were before. Madonna's changes have all been simply VISUAL with the appearances and art direction ALL done by others FIRST. STOLEN ideas, costumes, art direction, hair and makeup is what constitutes her so called "constantly evolving image". When people and journalists repeat back the so called "reinvention" line as if they were pre-programmed robots it is a pitiful thing to witness because empirically it simply isn't true. What the media and Madonna herself erroneously (and manipulatively) label as "reinvention" is little more than copy pastes from famous to obscure sources, some of which have successfully sued Madonna for plagiarising while many are (conveniently for Madonna), deceased and thus cannot sue.
2. Now that the proof is out there and these anti-Lady gaga haters look like hypocrites, the new lie being put forth is that all of these hundreds of rip offs by Madonna are simply "tributes" and that she "plays with the meaning" expecting her audience to "know her keen referencing". BS. Most people, especially 25 and under, do NOT know many of the obscure and old school performers being plagiarised by Madonna and A THIEF IS A THIEF. We are watching Madonna make an ass of herself over Born This Way yet over HALF of the people on this list have the right to feel completely ripped off that Madonna made their greatest moments into her own "fast food".
3. Madonna has clearly had no choice but to rip off in order to become famous and stay famous. She is a very average looking person from a middle class/heavily religious background stealing the hard work of mint originals due to a culture less and unremarkable upbringing. Madonna faced no poverty, racism, abuse or classism as child so she has none of heavy complexities which give artistic work any emotional depth or relate back to cultural dissonance. She was never considered ugly, unique or weird either (she was a cheerleader in High school) so she's had to steal from those who are.
4. Madonna has given no credit where credit is due to those she stolen from. A handful of time she mentioned being "inspired" but as one can clearly see her "inspirations" have also become her most famous images and videos with some of her "homages" and "playing with the imagery" resulting in lawsuits where she was sued successfully. Has any other performer copied and stolen from as many sources as Madonna has?
5. Steven Meisel is as big a copy paste as Madonna is and one of the forerunners of what I like to call "AK-47 photographic retouching" where instead of a person you are given a near fraudulent, waxy image. Madonna, Herb Ritts, Meisel et al stole many obscure images. For example,in the pre-internet early 1990s, Bettie Page was still a cult figure and not yet a mainstream icon as she is today thus a good 2/3s of Madonna's "SEX" book was all stolen from her work with Irving & Paula Klaw. In turn, Herb Ritts and Madonna ripped off Brigitte Bardot's beach look from Roger Vadim's "..and God Created Women." The examples are ENDLESS. This is an important detail because it makes Madonna more of a fashion model and tool of a photographer (fashion layouts frequently recycle or steal from originals) than an "artistic innovator" or "reinventionist".
6. Madonna's so called "80s curvy/chubby phase" was all hype and she was/is built NOTHING along the lines of Marilyn Monroe or the lush screen goddesses she and the media have erroneously compared her to. All her early pictures show she was gaunt, almost flat chested and linear yet Madonna (via retouching photos) has plagiarized eras where women were trim and firm yet simultaneously soft, hourglassy and feminine not muscular, pumped up, wasted and hard as she is. Anyone can see via her sad flashing onstage recently that Madonna's PR issued "34C-23-34 or 32C-23-33 measurements" are also TOTAL FICTION at any point in her career. I make this point not to denigrate women's bodies (as Madonna herself has done on many occasions) but to point out that Madonna is the specific mass media/cultural break (along with the 1980s Supermodels) where the mass media started falsely tagging thin/sinuous women as "curvy and voluptuous". A shorter person like Madonna carries weight more visibly thus a year or two after becoming a huge star, Madonna was back to her original very thin, very linear and muscular self. Madonna recently claimed to the press that in this era, she'd be considered "chubby and zaftig" at her early fame weight. Any video of her back then clearly reveals she was never chubby and barely curvy without retouching and hyping herself. She's also insulted overweight people on many occasions and yet miraculously decided to "defend" the full figured Adele recently. Anyone could clearly see it was for PR because Adele has kicked her down and off the charts. If Adele was not a best seller would Madonna "defend" her? We all know the answer.
7. The amount of time Madonna has put into working out, hair, makeup, clothing, photos, jewellery, stylists and copying is astronomical and must on average add up to at least 5 hours daily or more. Even when one factors OUT the amount of personal upkeep that all performers in the public eye must maintain, the quantitative number is still estimated at about 7 1/2 entire years spent solely on her appearance in the past 30 odd years. Why not a few acting or voice lessons too?
8. Madonna is also the cultural break point where hardcore pornography and BDSNM went into the commercial mainstream. Prior to Madonna, no super star public figure had ever been remotely and graphically as sexually explicit (certainly no star with a global fan base of millions of very small children). Fans of Madonna like to think her early 1990's hardcore porn persona "paved the way for third wave feminism" and pro-female acts such as Ani DeFranco, Beyonce, Hole and Lilith Fair when in reality Madonna has contributed nothing of discernible merit to feminism and female empowerment in music. By paving the way for Britney Spears, The Pussycat Dolls, Katy Perry, Paris Hilton, The Hills, Ke$ha, Miley Cyrus, Jersey Shore etc and other low level, talentless brands who are based around sleazy raunchy images/PR not raw, creative talent, Madonna severely "dumbed down" women's popular entertainment. Many of Madonna's male defenders like Larry Womack go on and on about "how much madonna has done for straight women" without actually being one. There were many women challenging sexist stereotypes LONG before Madonna and actually following through. At the end of the day, Madonna pays to keep a man from leaving her, is a slave to religion and has had radical and extreme plastic surgery-nothing liberated about that.
9. It is very unpopular to criticize Madonna and this was made sure of by the media early on in her career as well as her fans. The public was literally bullied into linking her despite the fact she sang bubblegum and acted sleazy. Missives such as "Madonna should be taken seriously as an artist...hers is one of the most compelling voices of the Eighties. And if you have trouble accepting that, maybe it's time for a little image adjustment of your own." and one reviewer compared fall out (which was well deserved) from her gutter style proto-Jackass appearance on Letterman to a "two week Kristallnacht" against her (I'm not making this up). When she is criticized in the media, "disclaimers" are always included such as "one can't deny she broke new ground" and "love her or hate her one has to admit" or "she will always be the Queen of reinvention and women owe her a debt". Many pity Madonna or think to criticize her is "unfair" even for purloining the hard work of others. Many can't explain WHY they feel this way, only that they believe it because that's what they've been told by the media. Unlike other celebrities who are regularly bashed, mocked, black listed or criticized, the media has symbiotically allowed Madonna to spin even her most grotesque moments into attention and money. Despite very vulgar and mean actions she has never suffered a true back lash because the much of the media ultimately loves, coddles her and holds her to abysmally low standards. Other celebrities (Dixie Chicks, Michael Richards, Sinead O' Connor etc) have been far less offensive, racist and grotesque than Madonna has and their careers have been either cut short or rabidly threatened.
10. Despite the media perennially calling Madonna "youthful looking" and "healthy", by the mid 1990s Madonna looked much older than her years, due hours of daily workouts thus she has relied on very, very heavy boom lighting, heavy makeup and extreme retouching since this point as well as when she first became famous. If Madonna can be on major magazine covers and be called a "perennial fashion trend setter" and "fitness example with a youthful face and body", then no one should ever worry about how they look.
MADONNA IS A COPY PASTE QUEEN OF RIP OFFS
A response to the very weak and idiotic:
LADY GAGA IS A COPY PASTE and CHEAT THIS WAY? BLOGSPOT AND TO ALL THOSE WHO ALLOW THEMSELVES TO BE MANIPULATED BY RONALD MCDONNA.