1969; a 2-CD compilation of early work, from the Jazz Messengers and Charles Lloyd to the trio with Haden and Motian
9 7.6 0
18. Get Up With It - Miles Davis,Steve Grossman,Keith Jarrett,Herbie Hancock,John McLaughlin,Michael Henderson,Billy Cobh
1970/1 (Columbia KG 33236) Jarrett plays electric organ on "Honky Tonk", an edit of a track available in full on The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions.
2 7 0
19. Directions - Miles Davis,Keith Jarrett,John McLaughlin,Dave Holland_VI,Jack DeJohnette,Airto Moreira
1970/2 (Columbia KC2 36472) A 1980 release of previously unavailable recordings. Jarrett plays the Fender-Rhodes piano on "Konda", an edit of a track available in full on The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions.
1971/4 (ECM (G) 1021) 1972; an album of duets with Jack DeJohnette, both fresh from Miles Davis' band and demonstrating his influence. In addition to acoustic piano, Jarrett plays electric piano and organ, the only time he would ever do so on an ECM recording.
1973/4 (ECM (G) 1033/34) 1973; short pieces for solo piano, strings, and various chamber ensembles, including a string quartet, a brass quintet, and a piece for cellos and trombones. This collection demonstrates a young composer's affinity for a variety of classical styles, with varying degrees of success.
1975/4 (ECM (G) 1070) 1975; Luminessence (1974) and Arbour Zena (1975) both combine composed pieces for strings with improvising jazz musicians, including Jan Garbarek and Charlie Haden. The strings here have a moody, contemplative feel that is characteristic of the "ECM sound" of the 1970s, and is also particularly well-suited to Garbarek's keening saxophone improvisations. From an academic standpoint, these compositions are dismissed by many classical music aficionados as lightweight, but Jarrett appeared to be working more towards a synthesis between composed and improvised music at this time, rather than the production of formal classical works. From this point on, however, his classical work would adhere to more conventional disciplines.
2 5.5 0
48. Shades - Keith Jarrett Quartet,Keith Jarrett,Charlie Haden,Dewey Redman,Paul Motian
1975/5 (Impulse ASD 9322) 1975
1 4 0
49. Closeness (Duets) - Charlie Haden,Keith Jarrett,Ornette Coleman,Alice Coltrane,Paul Motian
1976/1 (Horizon 11)
1 2 0
50. The Survivor's Suite - Keith Jarrett Quartet,Keith Jarrett,Charlie Haden,Dewey Redman,Paul Motian