Added by propelas on 4 Sep 2012 02:52
2730 Views 25 Comments

Good reviews for bad movies (by critics)

Add header image

Choose file... or enter url:
Sort by: Showing 30 items
Decade: Rating: List Type:
People who added this item 1695 Average listal rating (1156 ratings) 3.7 IMDB Rating 3.3
"It's an odd, idiosyncratic movie -- dark in look and dark in spirit -- that plays as a kind of pop culture investigation into the meaning of feminism and the options open to women in the modern world."

Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle
Watched Wanted Custom
"Though I've been bored senseless by the Star Wars phenomenon for over two decades, I found The Phantom Menace something of a pleasant surprise."

Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader

Watched Wanted Custom
"It's vintage Myers, with an outrageous, broadly played character borrowed from Peter Sellers, silly makeup, bad puns, innuendo, the occasional pause for song and dance and Myers' ongoing obsession with little people."

Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 885 Average listal rating (588 ratings) 3.6 IMDB Rating 4
"Absolutely adorable. Murphy plays a big black woman who is not a victim of America's unrealistic ideal of beauty."

Victoria Alexander, Films In Review
Watched Wanted Custom
"Shyamalan's approach is more effective than smash-and-grab plot-mongering. His use of the landscape is disturbingly effective. The performances by Wahlberg and Deschanel bring a quiet dignity to their characters."

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 3359 Average listal rating (2174 ratings) 5.7 IMDB Rating 6.1
Pearl Harbor (2001)
"For my money a much better heartbreaker, thrillmaker and tear-tweaker than Titanic.

Stephen Hunter, Washington Post
Watched Wanted Custom
"Movies like this embrace goofiness with an almost sensual pleasure. And so, on a warm summer evening, do I."

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1768 Average listal rating (1130 ratings) 5.9 IMDB Rating 6.1
"The story's true "sucker punch" is the way it lures its audience in with the promise of simple eye candy but then hits you in the guts with something deeper and more complex."

Tim Martain, The Mercury

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 5229 Average listal rating (3329 ratings) 5.8 IMDB Rating 6.2
Spider-Man 3 (2007)
"To place a sensitive story in a male-epic genre -- to dramatize feelings of angst and personal betrayal worthy of an Ingmar Bergman film, and then to dress them up in gaudy comic-book colors -- is to pull off a smartly subversive drag show."

Richard Corliss, TIME Magazine
Watched Wanted Custom
It seems fair to point out that of all the cross-dressing comedies of recent decades, none has channeled Some Like It Hot quite so thoroughly."

Mike Hale, New York Times
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 2756 Average listal rating (1831 ratings) 5 IMDB Rating 5.3
"Boldly and brazenly larger-than-life, a rock-the-house popcorn flick propelled by thunderous waves of vengeful obsession and faux-operatic passion."

Joe Leydon, San Francisco Examiner

Watched Wanted Custom
"It's bigger. Badder. Boobier. And many other words beginning with B, including boneheadedly brilliant."

Robbie Collin, News Of The World
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 938 Average listal rating (555 ratings) 5.7 IMDB Rating 5.7
"The movie is aware of its own riches; it fills up your plate and dares you not to eat."

Joshua Rothkopf, Time Out
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 457 Average listal rating (309 ratings) 3.9 IMDB Rating 3.7
For visual thrills and fairytale themes, this fantasy feature kicks the stuffing out of Star Wars."

Liz Braun, Jam! Movies
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 69 Average listal rating (48 ratings) 4.4 IMDB Rating 0
"There's a lot to laugh at and cheer for in this rousing comedy."

Peter Hartlaub, San Francisco Chronicle
Watched Wanted Custom
"It's a modern classic. By comparison, Hollywood's most celebrated gay comedies -- In and Out, Chuck and Buck, Blades of Glory, even the laughable Brokeback Mountain -- were all failures of nerve."

Armond White, New York Press
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1681 Average listal rating (1068 ratings) 4.9 IMDB Rating 5.1
Eragon (2006)
"Eragon is a fun film that is certain to join the ranks of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings in the world of fantasy films."

Michael A. Smith, Nolan's Pop Culture Review
Watched Wanted Custom
"Fearless and culturally resonant...a Dadaistic sendup of knee-jerk moralism and teen comedies in general."

Mark Palermo, Coast
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 421 Average listal rating (309 ratings) 4.1 IMDB Rating 4.9
"In its frenetic, good-natured way, Boat Trip is a trip."

Kevin Thomas, Los Angeles Times
Watched Wanted Custom
For those with the stomach and stamina for its heartbeat-quickening intensity and body-slamming action, Rollerball delivers exactly what it promises: A people's hero you can really get behind."

Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 817 Average listal rating (539 ratings) 5.6 IMDB Rating 6
Speed Racer (2008)
Speed Racer is a masterpiece of its kind...the moment when the Wachowskis went from wunderkind directors to true auteurs."

Todd Gilchrist, IGN Movies
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 2038 Average listal rating (1276 ratings) 6.5 IMDB Rating 6.7
Patch Adams (1998)
"Director Tom Shadyac and screenwriter Steve Oedekerk have sleekly outfitted a sudsy feel-good formula into an entertaining holiday comic tear-gusher."

David Bartholomew, Film Journal International
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1817 Average listal rating (1180 ratings) 5.5 IMDB Rating 5.8
"Leterrier certainly shows a better sense of meaningful, economic narrative than the mess that Peter Jackson made of the interminable, incoherent Lord of the Rings trilogy."

Armond White, New York Press
Watched Wanted Custom
"It's an effective whodunnit but - more importantly - it poses refined, complex questions about how the law operates in a so-called civilised society."

Tim Evans, Sky Movies
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 771 Average listal rating (439 ratings) 3.5 IMDB Rating 3.4
Crossroads (2002)
"Strangely, while watching this, one is reminded of another wartime pop goddess, Betty Grable, whose popularity and talents were about on a par with Spears'."

David Noh, Film Journal International

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 165 Average listal rating (116 ratings) 5.3 IMDB Rating 5.2
"A film with a rich and convincing texture, a drama with power and anger."

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 307 Average listal rating (210 ratings) 4.8 IMDB Rating 5.1
"A stimulating visual showcase of stylish filmmaking that keeps a viewer's attention."

Rob Blackwelder, SPLICEDWire
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1306 Average listal rating (735 ratings) 5.6 IMDB Rating 5.7
"Just like true love, a good romantic comedy is hard to find, but Valentine's Day is sure to be one of those classics that will become a tradition this time of year for many years to come."

Jeffrey Lyles, Gazette (MD)
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 963 Average listal rating (579 ratings) 4.8 IMDB Rating 4.6
"To my absolute astonishment, I enjoyed the remake more than the original."

Eugene Novikov, Film Blather
Watched Wanted Custom
"Profoundly disturbing, blood-chilling suspenser, fantasically creepy performances"

Kyle Smith, New York Post

Added to

Favorite Lists (206 lists)
list by Monstermaster
Published 4 years ago 5 comments
Favorite Lists (119 lists)
list by JayTrotter
Published 6 years, 3 months ago 2 comments

Related lists

Wait! That's a bad movie?
21 item list by moviewatcher122
29 votes 13 comments
Good movies that got bad reviews
26 item list by My Cat Is On Fire
7 votes 1 comment
Good Trailer - Disappointing Movie
20 item list by Neithan
8 votes 2 comments

View more top voted lists

Comments

Posted: 6 years ago at Sep 12 3:51
Laughing out loud at the Valentine's Day review.
Dear god.
Posted: 6 years ago at Sep 12 3:54
patch adams was quite good
Posted: 6 years ago at Sep 12 7:03
Thought the review for Clash of the Titans (2010) was laughable. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a good movie,but better than the Lord of the Rings trilogy? No way.

Great list though!
Posted: 6 years ago at Sep 12 22:38
I personally liked Phantom Menace, though it's the weakest of the trilogy (unless you count the unwatchable Clone Wars).
Posted: 6 years ago at Sep 13 0:26
I agree with almost 100 percent of these! Great list!
Posted: 6 years ago at Sep 13 0:54
The Psycho remake was better than the original? SMH.
Posted: 5 years, 10 months ago at Nov 3 19:48
Daredevil was a great movie. So was Freddy Got Fingered. They dont deserve to be on this list.
Posted: 5 years, 9 months ago at Dec 23 15:53
@The Above Comment

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!, ''Freddy Got Fingered'' was one of the worst films I have ever seen. Wait though someone else keeps going around saying that it's great to, hmmm looks like Tom Green set out his little patrol to ATTEMPT to convince people it's good.. Well Plan Foiled!
Posted: 5 years, 9 months ago at Dec 23 16:48
Armond White is a JOKE simple as that
Posted: 5 years, 9 months ago at Dec 23 16:49
SuckPunch was a guilty pleasure with an actual storyline that connected each fanatsy setpiece. I really think this film got a raw deal!
Posted: 5 years, 9 months ago at Dec 23 18:00
Mark Wahlberg isn't that great an actor, Ebert. And I doubt that Pearl Harbor would be better than Titanic. Also, Freddy Got Fingered was stupid and disturbing.
Posted: 5 years, 9 months ago at Dec 23 18:25
It seems like the critcs have never seen the real movie...
Posted: 5 years, 9 months ago at Dec 23 20:54
Sucker Punch, Spider-Man 3 and Patch Adams were great films! I enjoyed the Transformers movie, too, though I'll admit it's just a fun action flick. Still, critic's always crack me up.

I used to pick some of my movies-to-watch by how bad the critics (like Siskel & Ebert) panned a film. If they gave it a thumbs-down, it was more than likely actually really good!
Posted: 5 years, 9 months ago at Dec 24 1:41
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

'Eragon', 'Clash of the Titans', 'Valentine's Day' and the 'Psycho' review, among others, killed me with laughter.
Posted: 5 years, 6 months ago at Feb 28 1:53
I love both "Clash of the Titans" and "Speed Racer," and agree with both reviewers.
Posted: 5 years, 6 months ago at Feb 28 2:41
Spider Man 3's a good movie, I don't care what anyone says. Best of the trilogy.
Posted: 5 years, 6 months ago at Feb 28 2:50
^Spider-Man 2 is the best one, Spider-Man 1 & 3 were most definitely not… do NOT get me started on “The Amazing Spider-Man” eek! Good list. I always adore with whatever Roger Ebert has to say on movies, he’s MY MAN! :D
Edit: 5 years, 6 months ago
Posted: 5 years, 6 months ago at Feb 28 4:08
^PowerGirl: The Amazing Spider-Man was everything that Raimi's trilogy should have been. I saw it today and it was fantastic! ;P
Posted: 5 years, 6 months ago at Feb 28 4:31
Spider-man 3 was not bad and Patch Adams too, Speed Racer was colourful and original visually. Armond White is the worst movie critic that i've ever saw in my career he don't deserves to be a film critic. there's a lot of some film critic's who should put their foot in their mouth before they say something.(lol)
Posted: 5 years, 6 months ago at Feb 28 4:51
While I whole-heartdly agreed with SOME of the list (Cat-woman, Spider-Man 3) Okay I agreed with all but Star Wars (The fighting sequences saved the movie, though if I never see Jake Lloyd in a movie again, it'll be too soon), Daredevil, and Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch was 100% graphic entertainment, the story was secondary, but GOD was it pretty to look at.
Posted: 5 years, 6 months ago at Feb 28 13:18
One question: what were they thinking?
Posted: 5 years, 6 months ago at Feb 28 13:41
@Fortunato The Amazing Spider-Man erks me because from the 1st,2nd, & 3rd installment, I will always, ALWAYS chose Tobey Maguire! Andrew Garfield ruined it for me, period. But nonetheless, Emma Stone :) hahaha!
Posted: 5 years, 6 months ago at Feb 28 14:24
^PowerGirl: I liked Tobey, too, it's just that I like Garfield much better. Actually, the only thing that I prefer in Raimi's films were Uncle Ben and Aunt May - he got them right. Other than that, everything in the new one is better and closer to the source material. But everyone has their faves, right? But, god, Emma was so much better as Gwen than Kirsten was as MJ! (lol)
Posted: 5 years, 6 months ago at Feb 28 15:31
^TRUE, but in the 2nd installment of Spider-Man, Alfred Molina was my FAVORITE villain, and I’ll admit, Rhys Ifans was great as The Lizard, I also enjoy Willem Dafoe too! :D
Posted: 5 years, 6 months ago at Feb 28 15:51
You should see Roger Ebert's review of "Remember Me" (the one with the offensive twist ending).