Added by johanlefourbe on 4 Jun 2016 06:51
158 Views No comments

A Complete Review of Wes Anderson's work

Add header image

Choose file... or enter url:
Sort by: Showing 10 items
Decade: Rating: List Type:
People who added this item 1521 Average listal rating (1014 ratings) 7.9 IMDB Rating 8.1

Cast : Ralph Fiennes, Mathieu Amalric, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Harvey Keitel, Jude Law, Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Saoirse Ronan, Jason Schwartzman, Léa Seydoux, Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson, Owen Wilson

What was it about?
The adventures of Gustave H, a legendary concierge at a famous hotel from the fictional Republic of Zubrowka between the first and second World Wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend.

My two cents:
In my opinion, it is only with his 2 last directing efforts (I'm not counting 'Fantastic Mr. Fox' because it is something entirely different) that Wes Anderson finally nailed it. Indeed, he finally managed to mix his whimsical visual style and his hilarious characters with a very entertaining plot. Along the years, Wes Andeson has managed to get many interesting actors under his wings and it seemed that they all showed up for this movie. Indeed, every single character was played by some known figure and you might wonder if it was not really distracting but it actually worked out fine. Of course, Ralph Fiennes played the main character with a lot of gusto and he delivered once again a terrific performance. He is and remains one of the best actors of his generation and he was definitely one of the reasons why this movie worked so well. Still, at the end of the day, what was this movie all about? Nothing much, I’m afraid. But does it have to be? Not necessarily, especially when it is so entertaining.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1592 Average listal rating (1044 ratings) 7.7 IMDB Rating 7.8

Cast : Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, Harvey Keitel

What was it about?
A pair of young lovers flee their New England town, which causes a local search party to fan out to find them.

My two cents:
Ever since I saw ‘The Royal Tenenbaums’ in the movie theater when it was released, I thought that Wes Anderson was a really interesting director who had a very distinctive visual style and who could create some really nice daft characters. Unfortunately, I always had a hard time to care about his stories which were always decent but never really fascinating. With this movie, he finally nailed it and managed to give something visually really neat, some hilarious eccentric characters and, at last, a really entertaining tale. Indeed, it was actually a very sweet teenage love story and I had a blast with those scouts. Finally, the last masterstroke was to have Bruce Willis in one of his best performances from the last 10 years. Indeed, he played again a cop (seriously, a genius move) but an old one who didn’t seem to have seen a lot of action during the last 20 maybe even 30 years.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1716 Average listal rating (1079 ratings) 7.6 IMDB Rating 7.8

Cast : George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Michael Gambon, Willem Dafoe, Owen Wilson, Brian Cox, Adrien Brody

What was it about?
An urbane fox cannot resist returning to his farm raiding ways and then must help his community survive the farmers' retaliation.

My two cents:
I was quite curious about this movie because it was directed by Wes Anderson but also skeptical because I'm not a huge fan of Roald Dhal. Well, at last, with this flick, Anderson finally managed to blow me away. Indeed, there was in fact no reason to worry and it was much better than I expected. Basically, it was one of the most original animated movies I have ever seen, it really looked gorgeous and I just loved the dialogues and all these funny characters. I especially loved the first half which was pretty much pitch perfect and really hilarious and, while it lost some steam during the second half, it was still pretty damned entertaining. By now, I have seen this movie so many times and it gets better each time again in my opinion. Anyway, to conclude, I really loved the damned thing, it is in my opinion by far the best thing delivered by Wes Anderson I have seen at this point.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1682 Average listal rating (1011 ratings) 7.1 IMDB Rating 7.2

Cast : Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody, Jason Schwartzman, Irrfan Khan, Bill Murray, Anjelica Huston, atalie Portman

What was it about?
A year after their father's funeral, three brothers travel across India by train in an attempt to bond with each other.

My two cents:
Eventually, exactly like the rest of Anderson's work, I liked this movie but I didn't think it was great. Beforehand, I even watched 'Hotel Chevalier' which worked pretty well as a companion piece but I also thought it was rather misleading. Indeed, to the contrary to the other brothers, you do get this way a backstory for Jack and it gave the feeling that he was the main protagonist when it is not the case actually. Anyway, the cast was pretty good, the colors and production design were great, I enjoyed the music and India seemed to be an enchanting country. Once again, it dealt with a dysfunctional familly and even though I enjoyed those excentric characters, I thought the story was no bad but nothing really spellbinding. It was also rather corny that they got close with each other towards the end. It was still a decent watch though.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 549 Average listal rating (332 ratings) 7.1 IMDB Rating 7.3

Cast : Jason Schwartzman, Natalie Portman

What was it about?
A prologue of one heart-breaking history of love and the prologue of the travel told in 'The Darjeeling Limited'.

My two cents:
To be honest, I had some rather mixed feelings about this short. On one hand, I actually liked it and I think it was in fact even better than 'The Darjeeling Limited'. On the other hand, as mentionned above, it was rather misleading as it gave the feeling that Jack was the main protagonist in 'The Darjeeling Limited' which wasn't the case after all. Still, I thought it was a pretty good and it will be probably the only opportunity to see the lovely Natalie Portman in the nude since it was a decision she deeply regretted afterwards.

Watched Wanted Custom

Cast : Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Cate Blanchett, Anjelica Huston, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Michael Gambon

What was it about?
With a plan to exact revenge on a mythical shark that killed his partner, oceanographer Steve Zissou rallies a crew that includes his estranged wife, a journalist, and a man who may or may not be his son.

My two cents:
First of all, as usual with Wes Anderson, there was an impressive cast and they all delivered some pretty good performances. The flick itself was basically some kind of weird comedy and I'm not sure if it actually tried to honor or to make fun of Jacques-Yves Cousteau's work and, obviously, if you don't know who is Cousteau, you won't get half of the movie. Still, in my opinion, the tone was pretty uneven and I had a hard time to follow where he was getting at with this tale but I could say the same thing about most of his movies. It might explain why I have always been intrigued by his work but still had a hard time to really enjoy it, at least until recently. Still, even though I wasn’t completely blown away, there were many hilarious scenes and I enjoyed the whole thing.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 2726 Average listal rating (1779 ratings) 7.4 IMDB Rating 7.6

Cast : Gene Hackman, Anjelica Huston, Ben Stiller, Gwyneth Paltrow, Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, Bill Murray, Danny Glover, Alec Baldwin

What was it about?
An estranged family of former child prodigies reunites when their father announces he is terminally ill.

My two cents:
To be honest, it has been a while since I have this flick and I should definitely re-watch it if I have the opportunity. In fact, this is the first movie directed by Wes Anderson I have ever saw and, I remember it very well, I saw it in the movie theater when it was released. At the time, there was a lot of hype about this fairly new director and he was apparently the new US indie sensation so I was really eager to check this flick. Eventually, even though I admired the work done and even though I thought it was pretty good, I can’t say I was really blown away which would be the case with most of the movies directed by Wes Anderson. As usual, he had a really nice cast, the characters were quite interesting and colorful but, somehow, I couldn’t shake the idea that the whole thing was rather shallow and a little bit pretentious. Still, even though I was expecting a little bit more from this flick, it was after all an interesting feature.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1453 Average listal rating (912 ratings) 7.4 IMDB Rating 7.7
Rushmore (1998)

Cast : Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Olivia Williams, Brian Cox, Connie Nielsen, Luke Wilson

What was it about?
The extracurricular king of Rushmore preparatory school is put on academic probation.

My two cents:
Well, eventually, like most of his work, I thought it was a decent watch but I can't say it really blew me away either. Basically, as usual, there wasn't much of a plot and there was his usual tone which always make his movies stand out from the crowd. At this point, he was still going easy on the production design and it is only with his next directing effort ('The Royal Tenenbaums') that Anderson would start to go every time rather over the top with the colors and the vintage details. However, in spite of a rather limited budget, it was still visually neat. Anyway, at the end of the day, whether you care about this movie or not, mostly depends on how much you will connect or like the characters. Well, in my case, I thought they were half quirky and charming and half spoiled and obnoxious so I'm afraid that even though they were interesting enough, I can't say I really cared for them either. It is also with this movie that Wes Anderson will start a very long collaboration with Bill Murray who would be, so far, involved in all his following projects.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 634 Average listal rating (398 ratings) 6.7 IMDB Rating 7.1
Bottle Rocket (1996)

Cast : Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson

What was it about?
Focusing on a trio of friends and their elaborate plan to pull off a simple robbery and go on the run.

My two cents:
Apparently, this movie didn’t get much love when it was released and it was a big box-office flop at the time (apparently, Owen Wilson even considered joining the Marines afterwards, as he thought that he had no future as an actor). Well, I really liked it and, in fact, I believe it is even one of the most enjoyable movies delivered by Anderson so far. Indeed, even though I always respected his work, I often had a hard time to connect with his movies as they were drown in his usual visual extravaganza instead of focusing on the characters and what they were going through. Here, even though it was obviously much less ambitious, especially visually speaking, the focus was more on the characters and those were most of the time quite hilarious. Eventually, I have to admit that the whole thing was still too random to become really remarkable but most of it worked very well.