Added by johanlefourbe on 16 Jul 2012 11:51
3996 Views 10 Comments

A Complete Review of Tim Burton's work

Add header image

Choose file... or enter url:
Sort by: Showing 21 items
Decade: Rating: List Type:

Cast: Eva Green, Asa Butterfield, Samuel L. Jackson, Judi Dench, Rupert Everett, Terence Stamp

What was it about?
When Jacob discovers clues to a mystery that spans different worlds and times, he finds Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. But the mystery and danger deepen as he gets to know the residents and learns about their special powers.

My two cents:
Apparently, this time, Tim Burton went for a YA novel adaptation which was not really a good idea since the genre has been milked-dry by now. Furthermore, they used the same terrible gimmick they used in so many other YA novels like ‘Harry Potter’, ‘Percy Jackson’ or ‘Narnia’ which is to make the character start in our world and then to bring him later on in some fantasy world. Even though it might be fine in a book, it almost never work with a movie because it takes forever for the story to finally get started. In this case, it was pretty terrible. I mean, I think it took the guy about one hour to get to this school/orphanage but, even when he got there, the story still didn’t really take off. Eventually, in spite of its flaws, the whole thing looked pretty neat so I guess it is still worth a look but it was definitely one of the weakest movies delivered by Tim Burton so far.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 492 Average listal rating (292 ratings) 6.6 IMDB Rating 0
Big Eyes (2014)

Cast: Amy Adams, Christoph Waltz, Jason Schwartzman, Terence Stamp, Danny Huston

What was it about?
A drama centered on the awakening of the painter Margaret Keane, her phenomenal success in the 1950s, and the subsequent legal difficulties she had with her husband, who claimed credit for her works in the 1960s.

My two cents:
Well, eventually, I thought it was a decent watch but not much more than that, I'm afraid. The main issue, I guess, is that it was a fairly entertaining story but it was nothing really amazing. I mean, it must have worked fine on paper, for a short story in the newspaper, but it was just not enough to fill up more than 100 minutes of running time. Eventually, I don't think you really get to know the characters after all and the whole thing was just too focused on telling us the facts. At least, Christoph Waltz and Amy Adams did what they could with this material and they managed to deliver some solid performances. Without them, I'm not sure I would have really cared for the whole thing and, to be honest, my rating might be actually a little too generous here.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1080 Average listal rating (616 ratings) 6.8 IMDB Rating 0
Frankenweenie (2012)

Cast: Martin Short, Martin Landau, Winona Ryder

What was it about?
Young Victor conducts a science experiment to bring his beloved dog Sparky back to life, only to face unintended, sometimes monstrous, consequences.

My two cents:
Apparently, Tim Burton is struggling so much to bring up something fresh and new nowadays that the only thing he can come up with is basically recycling his own work which is all rather sad in my opinion. Anyway, after all, I have to admit that it was still a fairly enjoyable stop-motion feature but I can’t say that it really impressed me though. Indeed, I'll give you that, it was very well made and it was visually very neat, as expected from this director. However, I really had a hard time to care about the story. Indeed, the original version was a cute little story but not much more than that and the short format was perfect for this material. For this new version, they had to expand it somehow so they came up with this science fair idea which was rather underwhelming. Still,
even though it was again another half-baked project for Burton, I enjoyed most of it.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 2012 Average listal rating (1088 ratings) 6.2 IMDB Rating 0
Dark Shadows (2012)

Cast: Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Helena Bonham Carter, Eva Green, Jackie Earle Haley, Jonny Lee Miller, Chloë Grace Moretz, Christopher Lee, Alice Cooper

What was it about?
An imprisoned vampire, Barnabas Collins, is set free and returns to his ancestral home, where his dysfunctional descendants are in need of his protection.

My two cents:
I didn't really know what to expect from this flick before watching it. I mean, I have never seen the TV show it is based on and, frankly, even though I have seen every single movie directed by Tim Burton, it has been a while that he did really blow me away. Furthermore, the (terribly misleading) trailer gave me the feeling that it would be a straight comedy reminiscent of 'The Addams Familly' which wasn't really promising either. Fortunately, it turned out to be pretty good. Indeed, it was visually truelly impressive, especially the introduction which was some kind of Gothic extravangaza, the tone was just perfect and the campy comedy was gone. Furthermore, I really enjoyed Johnny Depp who was just hilarious and it has been a while since he gave such a good performance. Still, even though it was pretty good, I was still missing something. There were a few misfires like the sex scene or the concert with Alice Cooper where the tone is gone and they go for the cheap jokes. Furthermore, the ending was rather disappointing which was a rather boring and uninteresting final fight between the two major protagonists. Still, to conclude, even though it wasn't entirely satisfying, it was still a really enjoyable flick.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 4532 Average listal rating (2812 ratings) 6.3 IMDB Rating 0

Cast : Johnny Depp, Mia Wasikowska, Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway, Crispin Glover, Michael Sheen, Stephen Fry, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall, Christopher Lee

What was it about?
19-year-old Alice returns to the magical world from her childhood adventure, where she reunites with her old friends and learns of her true destiny: to end the Red Queen's reign of terror.

My two cents:
Before watching this flick, I was torn between 2 feelings. The first one was 'Yes! Another movie directed by Tim Burton starring Johnny Depp! I can't wait, it should be awesome!' and the second feeling was more like 'No... Another movie directed by Tim Burton starring Johnny Depp... Couldn't they just move on with something else?'. Eventually, 5 years later, it is rather interesting to see that the careers of both men has been become seriously disappointing. Anyway, eventually, I thought that this movie was actually pretty good but nothing amazing though. Indeed, the main reason why I still enjoyed it was because the visuals were just great but, honestly, the story was nothing exceptional. I'm sure many people will scream about how terrible this adaptation was but it wasn't really my problem but it was definitely a rather weak story which wasn't really faithfull to the original but not different enough either so this tale felt rather half-baked. Still, the whole thing was definitely gorgeous to look at and the story was entertaining enough.

Watched Wanted Custom

Cast : Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall , Sacha Baron Cohen, Jamie Campbell Bower

What was it about?
The infamous story of Benjamin Barker, a.k.a Sweeney Todd, who sets up a barber shop down in London which is the basis for a sinister partnership with his fellow tenant, Mrs. Lovett. Based on the hit Broadway musical.

My two cents:
Honestly, I have had absolutely no knowledge about Swneey Todd so I really didn't know what to expect beforehand. Furthermore, musicals are not really my thing so I went to see it with a open mind. Eventually, I thought it was really good. I didn't care much about the songs but the visuals were quite awesome, something rather expected by Tim Burton, and Johnny Depp delivered a solid performances, which was expected as well. I'm not so sure about the story but it was the ending that really sold me out. I mean, it was so over-the-top, so bold, so bloody, it didn't see it coming and it was just plain impressive. Eventually, the whole thing looked great, the perfomances were good and the songs were OK but what really blew my mind was this ending... To conclude, it is definitely an acquired test but I thought it was really good.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 5394 Average listal rating (3418 ratings) 7.1 IMDB Rating 0
Corpse Bride (2005)

Cast : Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Emily Watson, Tracey Ullman, Albert Finney, Christopher Lee, Jane Horrocks

What was it about?
When a shy groom practices his wedding vows in the inadvertent presence of a deceased young woman, she rises from the grave assuming he has married her.

My two cents:
Since I'm a huge fan of 'The Nightmare before Christmas', I definitely had high expectations for this one and I was really eager to check it out. Eventually, I thought it was pretty good but I'm afraid it was still nothing amazing. I mean, the whole thing did look gorgeous, absolutely, but I thought that the story was nothing really spellbinding. I mean, I loved the story in 'The Nightmare before Christmas', I thought it was really spellbinding, and the characteres were really fun and interesting, whereas, this time, I didn't care much about the plot or the characters involved. Basically, it was entertaining enough but it felt really just like any other standard Burton story, and I was missing something and expecting more from it. Still, it remains a gorgeous stop-motion feature and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you like the genre.

Watched Wanted Custom

Cast : Johnny Depp, Freddie Highmore, Helena Bonham Carter, Christopher Lee, AnnaSophia Robb

What was it about?
A young boy wins a tour through the most magnificent chocolate factory in the world, led by the world's most unusual candy maker.

My two cents:
Some people love this version and some people hate but it was a big success at the box-office anyway. Personally, I did help that this flick was made before we got an overdose of the Burton-Depp mania and I personnaly enjoyed it. Indeed, it was visually impressive and I thought Johnny Depp delivered the goods, as expected. Still, it is not one of their best efforts, that's for sure. I think the issue is that they didn't put much heart and soul in this adaptation and you miss something more challenging. It feels like they went like this 'I'm going to put some weird decors, it will look awesome! And you should look like some weird guy, a little bit like Michael Jackson!' but they didn't really went much further than this. With 'Big Fish', Tim Burton's previous directing effort, I thought I was watching something pretty deep, inspiring, thoughtful and full of imagination, at least, that's what I felt. With this, I thought I was watching an entertaining and well made commercial feature but not much more than that, I'm afraid.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 5447 Average listal rating (3438 ratings) 7.6 IMDB Rating 0
Big Fish (2003)

Cast : Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup, Jessica Lange, Helena Bonham Carter, Alison Lohman, Marion Cotillard, Danny DeVito, Steve Buscemi, Miley Cyrus

What was it about?
A son tries to learn more about his dying father by reliving stories and myths he told about his life.

My two cents:
In my opinion, it is probably the last great movie directed by Tim Burton, maybe his best one ever. I mean, he has made some good flicks afterwards but never as inspired and inspiring as this one. The first time I saw it, I thought it was pretty good. But I don't know why, the second time around, I thought it was just amazing and I was just blown away by the whole thing. The visuals, the directing, the perfomances,... Everything was just great. For once, the main character was not portrayed by Johnny Depp but by Ewan McGregor and I thought it was really refreshing (Especially when you see what Burton and Depp has done together between 2005 and 2012...). Furthermore, you had a really top cast and they all gave some solid performances. Above all, I thought it was such a deep, thougthful and inspiring tale which intermingled life, death, love, truth, lie, and many other things. This then, Tim Burton has spent his time adapting 2 famous books, a broadway show, a TV show and playing around with some puppets but I would be nice if he went looking again for some original material.

My rating: 09/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 3058 Average listal rating (1976 ratings) 5.5 IMDB Rating 0

Cast : Mark Wahlberg, Tim Roth, Helena Bonham Carter, Michael Clarke Duncan, Paul Giamatti, Estella Warren, Kris Kristofferson

What was it about?
An Air Force astronaut crash lands on a mysterious planet where the evolutionary process is reversed. Evolved apes are the dominate species and humans are primitive. He may discover secrets that would change the planet.

My two cents:
Back then, there was huge buzz about this flick. Indeed, at that time, it seemed like a good idea to let Tim Burton direct a remake. Fast-forward 10 years later and nowadays we can’t wait to see him finally developing an original idea…. Anyway, a remake had been in development for almost 15 years. So, the expectations were pretty high and most of us thought Tim Burton would deliver the goods. Unfortunately, the whole thing was terribly disappointing, probably the worst thing made by Burton so far. I would go even further by saying that it was worse than any movie made in this franchise which is quite shocking when you think that this new version had a budget 20 times bigger than the classic 1st installment. First of all, it was quite honorable that they tried to create a really different story but, in the process, they removed most of the coolest elements from the original version such as Taylor wandering on this strange planet, the fact that humans seem to be some wild animals unable to speak and, of course, they completely butchered the legendary ending. I mean, the whole thing looked pretty awesome, above all the make-up and costumes but it is as if they didn’t bother to build up a solid story. Furthermore, the acting was way below average. Back then, Mark Wahlberg was a rising star and it seemed to be a pretty smart move to show up in such a blockbuster but he gave here probably his worst performance I have seen so far. To be honest, the rest of the cast was not much better and even Tim Roth, who looked just awesome, eventually really got on my nerves with his OTT psychotic monkey act.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 5355 Average listal rating (3572 ratings) 7.2 IMDB Rating 0
Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Cast : Johnny Depp, Christina Ricci, Miranda Richardson, Michael Gambon, Casper Van Dien, Christopher Walken, Christopher Lee, Lisa Marie

What was it about?
Ichabod Crane is sent to Sleepy Hollow to investigate the decapitations of 3 people with the culprit being the legendary apparition, the Headless Horseman.

My two cents:
This movie is a perfect example of what I like and I don't like with Tim Burton's work. Indeed, on one hand, it looked completely gorgeous and they really managed to create a great immersive world. Furthermore, Johnny Depp gave a pretty good performance as well as a really goofy detective. However, on the other hand, I was not so sure about the story. I mean, it was entertaining but depending on my mood, I find it really fascinating or just ... entertaining but not much more than that. Still, if you watch it after all those underwhelming productions involving Burton and Depp, it is probably one of their best movies after all. On top of that, Christopher Walken was a perfect choice and the guy was totally awesome as the headless horseman. Finally, it is such a shame that Christina Ricci became so skinny because she never looked more charming than back in those days.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 3610 Average listal rating (2395 ratings) 6 IMDB Rating 0
Mars Attacks! (1996)

Cast : Jack Nicholson, Glenn Close, Annette Bening, Pierce Brosnan, Danny DeVito, Martin Short, Sarah Jessica Parker, Michael J. Fox, Rod Steiger, Tom Jones, Lukas Haas, Natalie Portman, Pam Grier, Lisa Marie, Jack Black, Christina Applegate, Barbet Schroeder

What was it about?
The Earth is invaded by Martians with irresistible weapons and a cruel sense of humor.

My two cents:
Back in those days, I saw this movie in the theaters and I really had a blast. Indeed, following his biopic about Ed Wood, Tim Burton wanted to make his own cheesy SF feature influenced by the 50's. Obviously, since he was influenced by Ed Wood, you shouldn't take this movie too seriously. Indeed, I'm always amazed when I see the low ratings concerning this movie here and on IMDB and, apparently, it is considered as one of Burton's weakest outings (only behind 'Planet of the Apes'). I don't know, personally, I thought it was pretty awesome. Indeed, there was a huge cast and they all delivered some really funny performances. Above all, I thought the martians were just hilarious. Like I said before, I saw it back then when it came out in the theater and I was about 16-17 years old so maybe I'd lower my rating nowadays but I still have fond memories of this one. Still, in my opinion, in this age of the mega-blockbusters where the Earth is blown up ten times over, you have this movie which stands on its own and gives you a more satirical view on the whole concept and it was highly appreciated, at least, in my case.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 2667 Average listal rating (1480 ratings) 7.6 IMDB Rating 0
Ed Wood (1994)

Cast : Johnny Depp, Martin Landau, Sarah Jessica Parker, Patricia Arquette, Vincent D'Onofrio, Bill Murray, Lisa Marie

What was it about?
The mostly true story of the legendary director of awful movies and his strange group of friends and actors

My two cents:
Well, after all these years, it is still one of Tim Burton's best efforts, definitely one of his most original project, and miles better than everything he has released during the last 10 years. Back then, Burton and Depp were quite amazing together, that's for sure. The black and white photographywas just really neat , there was a really nice cast and the story was just so fun and entertaining. The only complain I might have was that Ed Wood was indeed a really really bad director... After watching this movie, I got really intrigued so I bought 'Plan 9 from outer Space' for my sister but the whole thing was just plain bad, not fun bad or cool bad, just awful and terribly tedious. So, eventually, I find it rather odd to love this movie when in fact Ed Wood's work really stinks. Still, in spite of this minor flaw, it is probably the goofiest biopic out there, I really loved the damned thing.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 4945 Average listal rating (3251 ratings) 7.8 IMDB Rating 0

No, there won't be any review for this movie. Indeed, even though I really love it, in my opinion, Henry Selick is the one responsible for its greatness whereas Tim Burton was too busy working on other projects to actually directing it himself ... Selick should be the one credited for this jewel, not Burton.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 4287 Average listal rating (2834 ratings) 6.7 IMDB Rating 0

Cast : Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken, Vincent Schiavelli

What was it about?
When a corrupt businessman and the grotesque Penguin plot to take control of Gotham City, only Batman can stop them, while the Catwoman has her own agenda.

My two cents:
It is rather funny that when I was a kid, I was kind of desperate to see the first Batman flick but somehow, I didn't bother watch this one right away and I saw it only years later. It is actually pretty good and many think it is actually better than its predecessor. To be honest, even though I really enjoyed it, I think the whole thing is actually a little bit of a mess. For example, what was actually the deal with the Pinguin? Indeed, he pretty much keeps changing plan throughout the whole thing, first looking for his parents, then running for mayor and finally planning to kill a whole bunch of first born sons. On of that, this time, in my opinion, it was much less a Batman feature and more a typical Burton production with his usual dark and even at times lugubrious visuals. Still, the mood was pretty good, I loved Catwoman who really stole the show and her twisted relationship with Batman was by far the best thing in this movie. I still think it was rather unfocused though, especially when you compare it to the previous installment, something common when there are so many bad guys involved in one movie. Anyway, in spite of its flaws, it is definitely a pretty good Batman flick.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 8355 Average listal rating (5292 ratings) 7.7 IMDB Rating 0

Cast : Johnny Depp, Winona Ryder, Dianne Wiest, Vincent Price, Alan Arkin

What was it about?
An uncommonly gentle young man, who happens to have scissors for hands, falls in love with a beautiful teenage girl.

My two cents:
This movie was the start of a very prolific relationship between Johhnny Depp and Tim Burton and for many viewers, it is, so far, the best movie directed by Tim Burton. It was also the rebirth of Johnny Depp who was back then struggling with his teenage heartthrob image but with this flick, he made it clear he wanted something else in his career. From then on, he became one of the most excentric, original and fascinating actors (a box-office poison according to the major studio producers). But everything changed because of Captain Jack Sparrow... Since then, Depp has become the box-office king, loved by everyone but I'm afraid his new movies, even though they are hugely popular, are not really interesting compared to what he did before in the 90's. Anyway, his first movie with Tim Burton was pretty awesome. I think I enjoyed 'Big Fish' a little more but it is definitely a close call. Basically, the story was some kind of twisted fairy tale, the whole thing looked gorgeous and Depp gave one of his best performances.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 4987 Average listal rating (3310 ratings) 7.1 IMDB Rating 0
Batman (1989)

Cast : Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Kim Basinger, Billy Dee Williams, Jack Palance, Jerry Hall

What was it about?
The Dark Knight of Gotham City begins his war on crime with his first major enemy being the clownishly homicidal Joker.

My two cents:
Nowadays, Marvel is pretty much ruling the box-office but there was a time when they were nowhere to be found and it was DC who came out with some very successful super-hero features. First, at the end of the 70's, with 'Superman', and then, 10 years later with this movie focusing this time on the Dark Knight. I remember it very well when it came out, there was a huge buzz about this movie. Indeed, you could see the famous logo all over the place, there was some Batman merchandising everywhere and me and my little brother even got some Batman sweaters at the time. Basically, it was huge and pretty much the biggest film event at the time. With all this excitement, I just had to see it pretty bad and , back in those days (I was 9-10 years old), I was just really blown away by the whole thing. Indeed, I had never seen something like this before and I thought it was just awesome. Eventually, I think it is above really enjoyable when you are just a kid and , of course, 20 years later, it does look pretty cheesy, especially when you compare it to Christopher Nolan's trilogy but back in those days, it was really groundbreaking and it still deserve a lot of respect.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 4552 Average listal rating (3045 ratings) 7.2 IMDB Rating 0
Beetlejuice (1988)

Cast : Michael Keaton, Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Winona Ryder

What was it about?
A couple of recently deceased ghosts contract the services of a "bio-exorcist" in order to remove the obnoxious new owners of their house.

My two cents:
This flick is just awesome. Sure, it might not be Tim Burton's best directing effort but it is definitely his most fun movie to watch. Above all, his biggest masterstroke was Beetlejuice himself. Indeed, he is such a great character, not really bad, not really good, just plain weird and, after all these years, he is still one of best characters I have ever seen in a movie. It was seriously hands down the best peformance by Michael Keaton and I’m not surprised that it is Keaton’s favorite movie he made. Back then, Tim Burton didn't need a famous book or some other sources to come up with a new movie, he would just use his own imagination and the end-result was so much more interesting. It’s such a pity that the guy went from being one of most original and interesting directors working in Hollywood to a rather boring one trick pony.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1065 Average listal rating (613 ratings) 6.2 IMDB Rating 0

Cast : Paul Rubens

What was it about?
Eccentric man-child Pee-Wee Herman embarks on the big adventure of his life across the US mainland, as he sets out to find his beloved bike, when it is stolen in broad daylight.

My two cents:
somehow, the small Art house movie theater nearby was showing this movie and since it was Tim Burton’s directing debut, I was really egaer to check it out. Therefore, I saw the damned thing on the silver screen. Back in those days, Burton hadn’t direct any full length feature yet and, allegedly, it was after watching 'Frankenweenie' that Paul Reubens decided to pick Burton to direct this flick. Eventually, it turned out to be a surprise success and it launched Tim Burton’s career. Anyway, I thought it was all right but nothing amazing though. Indeed, even though it was Burton’s debut, the directing was already pretty good but I thought that the main character Pee-wee Herman was seriously annoying and, above all, not really funny, so I had a rather hard time to care about him or what he was going through. I mean, it is pretty much like watching the earlier Adam Sandler movies like ‘Billy Madison’ or ‘Happy Gilmore’. Indeed, in the USA, those movies are extremely popular but when I watch those, I just see some terribly obnoxious morons. Anyway, to conclude, even though I wasn’t really blown away by the whole thing, I still think it is worth a look though.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 574 Average listal rating (299 ratings) 6.9 IMDB Rating 0
Frankenweenie (1984)

Cast : Shelley Duvall, Barret Oliver, Sofia Coppola

What was it about?
A young boy sets out to revive his dead pet using the monstrous power of science.

My two cents:
In 2012, Tim Burton woud eventually release a new full length animated version of this short. It must be one of the darkest features produced by Disney and it is not really surprising they didn't want to release it. I thought it was pretty good and you can find already many trademarks that will keep recurring in Burton's work.