Added by johanlefourbe

on 21 Oct 2012 11:20

1662 Views 8 Comments

A Complete review of Steven Spielberg's work

Choose file... or enter url:
Sort by: Showing 28 items
People who added this item 977  Average listal rating (497 ratings) 7.2  IMDB Rating 7.4
1. Lincoln (2012)

Cast : Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, David Strathairn, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, James Spader, Tommy Lee Jones, John Hawkes, Jackie Earle Haley, Tim Blake Nelson, Lee Pace, Gloria Reuben

What was it about?
As the Civil War continues to rage, America's president struggles with continuing carnage on the battlefield and as he fights with many inside his own cabinet on the decision to emancipate the slaves.

My two cents:
At first, I was a little bit skeptical with this movie. I mean, would it be like 'Schindler's list' or more like 'War Horse'?. Fortunately, I must admit that it was almost as good as 'Schindler's list'. Indeed, I thought it was a fascinating historical picture but not only was it fascinating from a historical point of view, it was also a spellbinding policitical intrigue. Of course, as usual, Daniel Day-Lewis was just amazing and the only thing that stands in his way to win the Academy Award is the fact that he has already won two of those. So, it was a very good flick, one of Spielberg's best, but still, there were a few things that bothered me. Above all, I thought that the characterization was rather simplistic. Indeed, you had the good guys, the bad guys, some inactive helpless black folks standing on the side line and on top of that, Lincoln who was some kind of half-god but I'm sure the whole thing was a little bit more complicated back then. Still, even though it is not a perfect feature, it is still a very good movie, the best made by Spielberg since 'Munich'.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 844  Average listal rating (486 ratings) 7  IMDB Rating 7.2
2. War Horse (2011)

Cast : Jeremy Irvine, Peter Mullan, Emily Watson, David Thewlis, Tom Hiddleston, Benedict Cumberbatch

What was it about?
Young Albert enlists to serve in World War I after his beloved horse is sold to the cavalry. Albert's hopeful journey takes him out of England and to the front lines as the war rages on.

My two cents:
Basically, it was a decent WWI feature but nothing really mind-blowing. I mean, it was visually really impressive but I wouldn't expect less from Spielberg. I also really enjoyed the way they managed to make the horse shows his feelings and communicate with the other characters. I mean, it never felt phony but rather genuine. Still, even though it was pretty uplifting, I thought the story was rather pedestrian. It was not bad at all but many events were really far-fetched, especially the ending, and I never really cared about the whole thing. Furthermore, even though the events take place during the hell of one of the worst wars, there is still place for a happy ending and some fluffy sentimentality but that's unfortunately a trademark inherent to Steven Spielberg's work.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 1148  Average listal rating (694 ratings) 7.1  IMDB Rating 7.4
3. The Adventures of Tintin (2011)

Cast : Jamie Bell, Andy Serkis, Daniel Craig, Nick Frost, Simon Pegg, Gad Elmaleh, Toby Jones, Cary Elwes

What was it about?
Intrepid reporter Tintin and Captain Haddock set off on a treasure hunt for a sunken ship commanded by Haddock's ancestor.

My two cents:
Oh boy! I would have love to watch this movie when I was a kid!!! Back then, I read all the comic-books and I still have them, as a matter of fact. First of all, I was rather impressed how gorgeous the whole thing looked. It looked really realistic and beautifully detailed but it still had a cartoon feeling. Furthermore, I didn't expect they changed the story so much but I guess it was a good thing since I wasn't sure what will come next every 5 seconds. If I would have been a kid, I would have enjoyed it even more but, honestly, when you think about it, the story is nothing mindblowing whatsoever but it was entertaining enough.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 2964  Average listal rating (1870 ratings) 5.9  IMDB Rating 6.3
4. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal... (2008)

Cast : Harrison Ford, Cate Blanchett, Karen Allen, Shia LaBeouf, Ray Winstone, John Hurt, Jim Broadbent

What was it about?
Famed archaeologist/adventurer Dr. Henry "Indiana" Jones is called back into action when he becomes entangled in a Soviet plot to uncover the secret behind mysterious artifacts known as the Crystal Skulls.

My two cents:
I found it really difficult to judge this flick.... I mean, they waited 20 years after the 3rd Indiana Jones movie was released to come out with a new installment and it would have been really surprising if the whole thing would have been a masterpiece. Still, I thought it was fun to see Indiana Jones again and this guy remains one of the best characters ever created. The directing was solid (With Spielberg, would you expect something else?) and the action sequences were pretty spectacular. There were some good ideas (Shia Lebeouf portraying Indiana's son, the communist as the baddies instead of the Nazi) and , of course, some other stuff that just didn't work (Indiana VS some aliens ?!? that was a really bad call....) Still, as a blockbuster, it was pretty entertaining even though it would have worked better if they made the movie 10 years earlier.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 2138  Average listal rating (1222 ratings) 7.3  IMDB Rating 7.6
5. Munich (2005)

Cast : Eric Bana, Daniel Craig, Ciarán Hinds, Mathieu Kassovitz, Geoffrey Rush, Michael Lonsdale, Mathieu Amalric, Moritz Bleibtreu, Valeria Bruni Tedeschi, Marie-Josée Croze, Yvan Attal

What was it about?
Based on the true story of the Black September aftermath, about the five men chosen to eliminate the ones responsible for that fateful day.

My two cents:
In my opinion, it's probably the most underrated movie directed by Spielberg and it's a real shame it never got the credit it deserved. I thought it was spellbinding and it tells also a very important page of history. On the other and, it is just a very well made and fascinating thriller. Furthermore, contrary to the most movies directed by Spielberg, the whole thing is really dark, relentless, never over-sentimental which is one very annoying trademark in Spielberg's work. Anyway, I think it is one of the most fascinating spy movies ever made and a terrific directing effort.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 4221  Average listal rating (2937 ratings) 6  IMDB Rating 6.5
6. War of the Worlds (2005)

Cast : Tom Cruise, Dakota Fanning, Miranda Otto, Justin Chatwin, Tim Robbins

What was it about?
As Earth is invaded by alien tripod fighting machines, one family fights for survival.

My two cents:
I must admit I was actually rather pleasantly surprised. Of course, it was not a masterpiece and it was not even a really good movie but I thought it was actually damned entertaining. Indeed, the visuals were great and there were some awesome special effects, something that can be expected with Steven Spielberg. The best about this movie was that it was really suspenful, almost scary. There was a great mood and I was completely on the edge of my seat during the whole thing ... until the end which was unfortunately really weak. The first time I saw it, it felt rather weird because the rest of the movie was very well balanced and quite spellbinding to watch, whereas the ending felt rushed and really half-baked. Still, in my opinion, you should just sit back, have some popcorn, enjoy the show, and if you don't expect Bergman, there is a good chance you end up actually enjoying it.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 3873  Average listal rating (2489 ratings) 6.8  IMDB Rating 7.3
7. The Terminal (2004)

Cast : Tom Hanks, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Stanley Tucci, Diego Luna, Zoe Saldana

What was it about?
An eastern immigrant finds himself stranded in JFK airport, and must take up temporary residence there.

My two cents:
The more I think about this movie, the more I believe I should lower my rating. Maybe I should rewatch it to make up my mind. The point is that it is based on a rather fascinating true story but it tends to be widly over-sentimental and Spielberg chose to make a light comedy from this. Still, I had a good time watching it and even though it is obviously a minor effort, it is actually pretty good thanks to a solid performance by Tom Hanks.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 5376  Average listal rating (3643 ratings) 7.3  IMDB Rating
8. Catch Me If You Can (2002)

Cast : Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks, Christopher Walken, Martin Sheen, Nathalie Baye, Amy Adams, James Brolin, Jennifer Garner

What was it about?
A true story about Frank Abagnale Jr., who, before his 19th birthday, successfully conned millions of dollars' worth of checks as a Pan Am pilot, doctor, and legal prosecutor.

My two cents:
It might sound weird but I really love this movie. Beforehand, I was expecting a fun flick but I wasn't expecting to be blown away like that. First of all, the true story on which the movie is based is just really amazing. Personally, I thought it would be a typical Spielberg effort, you know, very well made and entertaining but rather shallow and not really deep. So, I was really amazed when I realised that they devoted a lot of time and energy in developping the psychological torment lived by the main character. It was just fascinating to behold. Basically, it is an entertaining movie but also really deep, at least, that's my opinion.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 4352  Average listal rating (3019 ratings) 6.9  IMDB Rating 7.7
9. Minority Report (2002)

Cast : Tom Cruise, Max von Sydow, Colin Farrell, Samantha Morton

What was it about?
In a future where a special police unit is able to arrest murderers before they commit their crimes, an officer from that unit is himself accused of a future murder.

My two cents:
Even though Roger Ebert chose this movie as the best one coming out in 2002, I can't say I share his opinion. I mean, it is definitely a solid SF feature. The visuals were awesome, the original concept was fascinating and Tom Cruise gave a solid performance. Unfortunately, I thought the ending was rather convoluted with too many annoying twist(s) for my taste. I would like to rewatch it though, only to check if Roger was right or not.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 4001  Average listal rating (2584 ratings) 6.7  IMDB Rating 7.1
10. A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)

Cast : Haley Joel Osment, Frances O'Connor, Jude Law, William Hurt, Robin Williams, Ben Kingsley, Meryl Streep , Chris Rock

What was it about?
A highly advanced robotic boy longs to become "real" so that he can regain the love of his human mother.

My two cents:
Being a Kubrick fan, I was really anxious about seeing this. Eventually, there were definitely many things to enjoy here. First of all, the whole thing looked great, I was rather captivated by the story and the cast was pretty good. But unfortunately, it wasn't that great at all, I'm afraid. Indeed, basically, you miss the Kubrick touch, which means going the extra mile into the human psyche making this movie a real masterpiece. Instead, you may remain in the Spielberg comfort zone, with some great visuals but also with a weak, over-sentimental fluffy story. I guess, my mistake is that I went there expecting a Kubrick feature but I got a Spielberg movie so it was rather unfair from me. Still, I have to admit that even though I was rather disappointed, it remains a very well made and intriguing SF flick.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 5336  Average listal rating (3555 ratings) 7.7  IMDB Rating 8.6
11. Saving Private Ryan (1998)

Cast : Tom Hanks, Tom Sizemore, Edward Burns, Barry Pepper, Adam Goldberg, Vin Diesel, Giovanni Ribisi, Jeremy Davies, Matt Damon, Ted Danson, Paul Giamatti

What was it about?
Following the Normandy Landings, a group of US soldiers go behind enemy lines to retrieve a paratrooper whose brothers have been killed in action.

My two cents:
Even though it is supposedly a huge classic, in my opinion, it is actually the most overrated movie directed by Steven Spielberg. I mean, the movie is not awfull, absolutely not. As a matter of fact, the opening is one of the best (the best?) intro I have ever seen. You start up with the best war scene ever made but, then, the rest of the movie has nothing to do with this. Basically, they send a whole platoon to save 1 guy... I really didn't care about this story and, basically, in my opinion, it is just some kind of Disney version of 'Apocalypse Now' and it just didn't match with the greatest depiction of the D-Day. Of course, it is not a bad movie, the directing and acting are really solid and it is worth a look but I really don't see why it is such a great movie and it is definitely one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 913  Average listal rating (528 ratings) 6.7  IMDB Rating 7.2
12. Amistad (1997)

Cast : Morgan Freeman, Nigel Hawthorne, Anthony Hopkins, Djimon Hounsou, Matthew McConaughey, Pete Postlethwaite, Stellan Skarsgård, Anna Paquin, Chiwetel Ejiofor

What was it about?
About a 1839 mutiny aboard a slave ship that is traveling towards the northeastern coast of America. Much of the story involves a court-room drama about the free man who led the revolt.

My two cents:
It is one of the most forgotten movies made by Spielberg and it's too bad because it is actually pretty good. It deals with a very important subject, the story was intriguing enough and there was a top cast (see above). Still, I have to admit it never reaches its fulll potential and even though it deals with slaves, they pretty often get upstaged by the other characters. I still believe it remains a very solid historical drama though.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 3790  Average listal rating (2505 ratings) 6.1  IMDB Rating 6.4
13. The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)

Cast : Jeff Goldblum, Julianne Moore, Pete Postlethwaite, Richard Attenborough, Vince Vaughn, Peter Stormare, Camilla Belle

What was it about?
A research team is sent to the Jurassic Park Site B island to study the dinosaurs there while another team approaches with another agenda.

My two cents:
Oh boy... I really didn't like this flick... Of course, there were some impressive action scenes but it was such an idiotic story. The plot was already not the strong aspect of the first installment but there were many elements which compensated this. Not here... I thought it was big, loud, kind of stupid and not really entertaining.

My rating: 05/10
johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 5130  Average listal rating (3133 ratings) 8.4  IMDB Rating 8.9
14. Schindler's List (1993)

Cast : Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley, Ralph Fiennes, Embeth Davidtz

What was it about?
In Poland during World War II, Oskar Schindler gradually becomes concerned for his Jewish workforce after witnessing their persecution by the Nazis.

My two cents:
Even if Spielberg has definitely made many very entertaining flicks in the past , I have always been kind of annoyed by his movies because they are most of the times not challenging enough, or too "nice" for my taste. However, with this movie, Spielberg finally displayed his skills showing a terribly bleak and dark tale. Of course, you could say that Schindler is a little too heroic but you can't argue that Amon Goethe is one of the most despicable and yet fascinating bad guys seen on the silver screen. The directing was great, the cast was awesome and the story was completely heartbreaking. It was so good that the Academy finally HAD to give Spielberg his Oscar which he had been denied for so many years. It is a great classic and a must see for any decent movie fan.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 7134  Average listal rating (4669 ratings) 7.2  IMDB Rating
15. Jurassic Park (1993)

Cast : Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, Richard Attenborough, Samuel L. Jackson

What was it about?
During a preview tour, a theme park suffers a major power breakdown that allows its cloned dinosaur exhibits to run amok.

My two cents:
I must have been 13 or 14 years old when I saw this flick in the movie theater and, I must admit, I was quite blown away by its visual aspect. I mean, back then, there wasn't such an overdosis of CGI like today, back then it was something new and it was just downright impressive. Anyway, this movie definitely belongs to the biggest classics directed by Spielberg and it was the highest grossing movie ever made until 'Titanic' came out. Still, even though the whole thing was very entertaining and kept me on the edge of my seat, the story was still nothing extraordinary and all the characters were all really stereotypical and none of them was remotely interesting. But, damned, it was still awe inspiring to see for the very first time ever such realistic dinosaurs on the silver screen.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 3474  Average listal rating (2361 ratings) 6.4  IMDB Rating 6.6
16. Hook (1991)

Cast : Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, Julia Roberts, Bob Hoskins, Maggie Smith, Phil Collins, Gwyneth Paltrow, Glenn Close

What was it about?
When Capt. Hook kidnaps his children, an adult Peter Pan must return to Neverland and reclaim his youthful spirit in order to challenge his old enemy.

My two cents:
When it came out, it was a big event back then. However, it eventually received poor reviews and was not a real success at the box-office. 20 years later, I still find it rather enjoyable though. Indeed, it is one of those typical huge Spielberg production with some breathless action scenes, some great set-pieces and a really impressive cast. Robin Williams was basically born to play this part and the whole thing was taylor-made for him. Like all Spielberg features, it works well as popcorn entertainment but it is not really deep whatsoever and tends to drag a little bit. Still, even though it is obviously a minor Spielberg effort, I think it remains an enjoyable kid flick.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 307  Average listal rating (200 ratings) 5.8  IMDB Rating 6.4
17. Always (1989)

Cast : Richard Dreyfuss, Holly Hunter, John Goodman, Audrey Hepburn, Marg Helgenberger

What was it about?
A romantic adventure about a legendary pilot's passion for dare-devil firefighting and his girl.

My two cents:
Honestly, it is not that bad at all. The directing was solid, the cast was pretty good and the whole thing was rather entertaining. Still, it remains a minor effort and you can feel that, at this point, Spielberg was still struggling with the drama genre and it all remained way to fluffly and over-sentimental to become really memorable.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 4032  Average listal rating (2724 ratings) 7.7  IMDB Rating 8.3
18. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

Cast : Harrison Ford, Sean Connery, Alison Doody, John Rhys-Davies, River Phoenix

What was it about?
When Dr. Henry Jones Sr. suddenly goes missing while pursuing the Holy Grail, eminent archaeologist Indiana Jones must follow in his father's footsteps and stop the Nazis.

My two cents:
Ever since I saw this movie as a kid, it has never ceased to fascinate me. By now, I have seen it so many times but it has never lost its charms and it is easily my favorite Indiana Jones movie. The first masterstroke was to cast Sean Connery as Professor Henry Jones. The second masterstroke was to pick up the ultimate archeological artifact, the Holy Grail. The Holy Grail is one of the most fascinating myth in the whole human history and it was just awesome to see Dr Jones Jr and Sr chasing it around the globe. Finally, there were also loads of cool action scenes which kept me on the edge of my seat from the beginning until the end. Basically, it is just damned entertaining and I think it is a great classic.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 1251  Average listal rating (667 ratings) 7.4  IMDB Rating 7.8
19. Empire of the Sun (1987)

Cast : Christian Bale, John Malkovich, Miranda Richardson, Joe Pantoliano, Ben Stiller

What was it about?
A young English boy struggles to survive under Japanese occupation during World War II.

My two cents:
Honestly, I have seen this one only once and it was a while back but I really liked it. It tends to be overlooked but it is actually one of the best dramas directed by Spielberg. Indeed, the whole thing remained pretty bleak which was something rather unexpected with a Spielberg feature and, of course, there is this impressive performance by Christian Bale who was just only 13 years old back then. I definitely have to rewatch this one when I get the chance.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 1315  Average listal rating (688 ratings) 7.5  IMDB Rating 7.8
20. The Color Purple (1985)

Cast : Whoopi Goldberg, Danny Glover, Oprah Winfrey

What was it about?
The life and trials of a young African American woman.

My two cents:
Even though it was nominated for the Best Picture Academy Award and even though it is loved by many viewers, I thought it was rather disappointing. I mean, it was a decent drama but nothing really amazing and it was pretty obvious that it was Spielberg's first try at this genre. Indeed, it tends to get rather over-sentimental and it downgrades some important aspects such as the lesbian relationship which is reduced to a chaste kiss whereas, in the book, it goes a little bit further than that and in full details. Still, for a first drama, it is not bad at all and, like I said before, many people really love this movie.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 3608  Average listal rating (2413 ratings) 7.2  IMDB Rating 7.6
21. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

Cast : Harrison Ford, Kate Capshaw, Dan Aykroyd

What was it about?
After arriving in India, Indiana Jones is asked by a desperate village to find a mystical stone. He agrees, and stumbles upon a secret cult plotting a terrible plan in the catacombs of an ancient palace.

My two cents:
One of the (very few) really positive aspects of the 4th installment is that many people now actually appreciate this flick. Before that, it used to be the weakest link in this mighty franchise but not anymore. Personally, even though it is far from being the best one, it still is a very enjoyable blockbuster. I also enjoyed the fact that they tried different things such as a darker tone and other bad guys but Indiana Jones was still completely badass, as usual, and they were many impressive action scenes.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 5793  Average listal rating (3835 ratings) 7.2  IMDB Rating 7.9
22. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Cast : Henry Thomas, Peter Coyote, Drew Barrymore, C. Thomas Howell

What was it about?
A meek and alienated little boy finds a stranded extraterrestrial. He has to find the courage to defy the authorities to help the alien return to its home planet.

My two cents:
Even though I have always been a huge fan of Indiana Jones, I never really cared about this flick. I mean, of course, I have seen it when I was a kid and I saw it again recently and it is indeed pretty neat and that might be exactly what bothers me with this movie. It is just way too neat. On one hand, you have the very nice alien who wouldn't hurt a fly and, on the other hand, you have the very nasty scientists who want to cut him open. What a deep and complicated tragedy! I don't know, maybe I'm just too cynical for this kind of movies... Still, it remains a very entertaining blockbuster with some iconic scenes and it is definitely a classic, even if it is not one of my favorites.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 4609  Average listal rating (3112 ratings) 8  IMDB Rating 8.6
23. Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ar... (1981)

Cast : Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, John Rhys-Davies, Alfred Molina

What was it about?
Archeologist and adventurer Indiana Jones is hired by the US government to find the Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis.

My two cents:
Since I'm a huge fan of Indiana Jones, of course, I just love this flick. Even though it is not my favorite one, it is still quite awesome. Spielberg set up here the golden rules for this mighty franchise and introduced to us one of the greatest most iconic characters in motion picture history. I have seen this one many many times and it never gets old. Not only it is a great classic, it is also just a plain fun movie and it is completely entertaining from the very first minute until the very last seconds.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 331  Average listal rating (197 ratings) 5.8  IMDB Rating 5.9
24. 1941 (1979)

Cast : Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Christopher Lee, Toshirô Mifune, Treat Williams, Nancy Allen, John Candy, John Landis, Mickey Rourke

What was it about?
Hysterical Californians prepare for a Japanese invasion in the days after Pearl Harbor.

My two cents:
It is, arguably, the only real flop in Spielberg's career. And even though it is not a total disaster, it is indeed a very average flick. It is interesting to note that it is actually the only real comedy directed by Spielberg, maybe one of the few genres he didn't master. Basically, the whole thing was just really chaotic and not really funny at all. Eventually, it is still worth a look just to see Spielberg messing it up for once.

My rating: 05/10

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 1832  Average listal rating (1184 ratings) 7.2  IMDB Rating 7.7
25. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

Cast : Richard Dreyfuss, François Truffaut

What was it about?
After an encounter with UFOs, a line worker feels undeniably drawn to an isolated area in the wilderness where something spectacular is about to happen.

My two cents:
It is yet another major classic directed by Steven Spielberg but even though I thought it was pretty good, it didn't really blow me away. On the other hand, it has been ages since I saw that one and a re-watch might change my opinion though. What I can recall is that even though it was more interesting than 'E.T.', it was still too over-sentimal for my taste. Still, the title only is already pretty awesome and it is regarded as one of the greatest landmarks in Science-Fiction.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 4007  Average listal rating (2646 ratings) 7.3  IMDB Rating 8.1
26. Jaws (1975)

Cast : Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss

What was it about?
When a gigantic great white shark begins to menace the small island community of Amity, a police chief, a marine scientist and grizzled fisherman set out to stop it.

My two cents:
It is obviously the first masterpiece directed by Steven Spielberg. I saw it again recently and even though it is almost 40(!) years old, it is still quite amazing. We all know the story by now, Spielberg didn't have such a huge budget back then but managed to make one of the most thrilling flicks ever made. Every year, you get similar movies but none of them reach its sheer awesomeness. It was only Spielberg's 3rd directing effort but it became the highest grossing movie ever made at the time (he will beat his own record in 1982 with 'E.T.' and again in 1993 with 'Jurassic Park'). Already very early in his career, starting with this movie, he had a huge influence on the movie world and introduced to us the summer blockbuster, if you like it or not, and it is still going strong almost 40 years later.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 168  Average listal rating (88 ratings) 6.9  IMDB Rating 6.8
27. The Sugarland Express (1974)

Cast : Goldie Hawn

What was it about?
A woman attempts to reunite her family by helping her husband escape prison and together kidnapping their son. But things don't go as planned when they are forced to take a police hostage on the road.

My two cents:
Even though 'Duel' is nowadays considered as Spielberg's directing debut, this movie was his official first theatrical feature film. Anyway, even though 'Duel' was a pretty cool flick, I thought this one was rather disappointing. In my opinion, it all depends where you stand concerning Goldie Hawn. Basically, she plays here the same old character she has portrayed in most of her movies, the wacky hysterical whining rather annoying chick. For Spielberg, it was a rather interesting try to make a dark comedy but it wasn't nearly dark enough to make it really interesting for me. Basically, it is one of the most obscure movies directed by Spielberg and even though it is definitely watchable, it is not really a must see in my book.