Added by johanlefourbe

on 15 Jul 2012 01:03

1660 Views 11 Comments

A Complete review of Ridley Scott's work

Choose file... or enter url:
Sort by: Showing 20 items
People who added this item 1694  Average listal rating (1124 ratings) 6.8  IMDB Rating 7.1
1. Prometheus (2012)

Cast : Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Guy Pearce

What was it about?
A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

My two cents:
I had some huge expectations and it was pretty good but nothing amazing, in my opinion. I mean, Scott went way over his head with this metaphysical stuff. There are maybe a handful of directors who could tackle such a subject (Stanley Kubrick, Terrence Malick, Ingmar Bergman, Andrey Tarkovskiy) and Ridley Scott is not one of them, I'm afraid. Still, it is a visual marvel and a decent SF flick.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 1557  Average listal rating (937 ratings) 6.5  IMDB Rating 6.7
2. Robin Hood (2010)

Cast : Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, Max von Sydow, William Hurt, Mark Strong, Danny Huston, Matthew Macfadyen, Léa Seydoux

What was it about?
In 13th century England, Robin and his band of marauders confront corruption in a local village and lead an uprising against the crown that will forever alter the balance of world power.

My two cents:
Ridley Scott and Russel Crowe were talking about making this flick for years and some of the rumors were rather intriguing (Russell Crowe would play BOTH Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham!). But honestly, was any of us really expecting yet another movie about this 'iconic' character? Not really... They chose a rather grim look and atmosphere but the whole thing was never spellbinding. It was still watchable though.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 970  Average listal rating (607 ratings) 6.6  IMDB Rating 7.1
3. Body of Lies (2008)

Cast : Leonardo DiCaprio, Russell Crowe, Mark Strong

What was it about?
CIA agent Roger Ferris uncovers a lead on a major terrorist leader suspected to be operating out of Jordan, but while he tries to capitalize on the intelligence he has uncovered he must also be wary of the double-dealings of his boss in America.

My two cents:
Ridley Scott + Leonardo DiCaprio + Russel Crowe! That sounded like a great combo!! And, indeed, I thought it was pretty good, even though it tends to loose its edge towards the end. It is something recurrent in Scott's work, in my opinion. Indeed, he spends so much time making sure his movie looks awesome when he should pay more attention on the story. Still, I thought it was still an entertaining spy movie.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 1866  Average listal rating (1188 ratings) 7.4  IMDB Rating 7.8
4. American Gangster (2007)

Cast : Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Josh Brolin, John Hawkes, RZA, Carla Gugino, Cuba Gooding Jr., Idris Elba, Common

What was it about?
In 1970s America, a detective works to bring down the drug empire of Frank Lucas, a heroin kingpin from Manhattan, who is smuggling the drug into the country from the Far East.

My two cents:
When I came out of the movie theater, I thought it was really awesome but then the more I thought about it, the more I thought it was a very well made crime drama but not much more than that. Still, there is a terrific cast, Ridley Scott rocks the directing and it remains a spellbinding story to watch.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 699  Average listal rating (434 ratings) 6.2  IMDB Rating 6.9
5. A Good Year (2006)

Cast : Freddie Highmore, Albert Finney, Russell Crowe, Tom Hollander, Didier Bourdon, Marion Cotillard, Valeria Bruni Tedeschi, Abbie Cornish

What was it about?
A British investment broker inherits his uncle's chateau and vineyard in Provence, where he spent much of his childhood. He discovers a new laid-back lifestyle as he tries to renovate the estate to be sold.

Conversation between between Ridley Scott and Russel Crowe :

Scott : Russel, you know what I want to do ?
Crowe : No... what then?
Scott : I would like to spend a month in the South of France, drinking some wine, eating some good food...
Crowe: Sounds good to me. Actually, I'm tired being the tough guy with all those exhausting action scenes...
Scott : I know! Let's shoot a fluffy romantic comedy in France!

I know, I'm mean here but, honestly, the whole thing seems to be actually a good excuse for them to spend some time in France and for having a good time. Furthermore, the movie is full of annoying clichés about France and the French people but I have to admit that the story was entertaining enough. To conclude, it is a rather standard but well made romantic comedy.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 2183  Average listal rating (1400 ratings) 6.5  IMDB Rating 7.2
6. Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

Cast : Orlando Bloom, Eva Green, Liam Neeson, Michael Sheen, David Thewlis, Edward Norton

What was it about?
Balian of Ibelin travels to Jerusalem during the crusades of the 12th century, and there he finds himself as the defender of the city and its people.

My two cents:
I'm maybe in the minority but I actually like this flick. As a matter of fact, I thought it was even better than 'Gladiator'. I know, Orlando Bloom is not really an amazing lead actor but this movie had more to offer than the famous sandal epic. Indeed, I thought it was pretty spectacular and rather well grounded in history (at least, it felt so). I'm always intrigued by movies dealing with religion and I thought this one was pretty good, even if it was a flop back then. I will definitely re-watch it some day to make up my mind for good about this movie.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 1281  Average listal rating (829 ratings) 6.7  IMDB Rating 7.3
7. Matchstick Men (2003)

Cast : Nicolas Cage, Sam Rockwell, Alison Lohman

What was it about?
A phobic con artist and his protégé are on the verge of pulling off a lucrative swindle when the former's teenage daughter arrives unexpectedly.

My two cents:
I have really a weak spot for this flick. Indeed, for once, Ridley Scott made this time an 'actor' movie. What I mean with this is that, instead of focusing on the directing and the visuals (which were pretty good though anyway), the strength of this movie were the performances of the 3 main actors. By the way, it is rather incredible that Sam Rockwell is still so underrated 10 years later... Of course, the story is not really amazing when you think about it but I still enjoyed it anyway.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 2270  Average listal rating (1513 ratings) 7  IMDB Rating 7.7
8. Black Hawk Down (2001)

Cast : Josh Hartnett, Ewan McGregor, Tom Sizemore, Eric Bana, William Fichtner, Ewen Bremner, Sam Shepard, Hugh Dancy, Ron Eldard, Ioan Gruffudd, Jason Isaacs, Zeljko Ivanek, Jeremy Piven, Tom Hardy, Orlando Bloom

What was it about?
123 elite U.S. soldiers drop into Somalia to capture two top lieutenants of a renegade warlord and find themselves in a desperate battle with a large force of heavily-armed Somalis.

My two cents:
Back then, I saw it when it came out in theater. I did enjoy it but I kept hearing that it was an amazing war flick (check the IMDB rating) so I rewatched it a few years later but I still had the same opinion. The point is this, the cast is impressive (see above), it is visually awesome (one of Ridley Scott's best directing job) but the story was nothing great in my opinion. Still, it remains a solid war movie, definitely.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 2893  Average listal rating (1824 ratings) 6.6  IMDB Rating 6.7
9. Hannibal (2001)

Cast : Anthony Hopkins, Julianne Moore, Gary Oldman, Ray Liotta, Giancarlo Giannini, Francesca Neri, Zeljko Ivanek

What was it about?
Hannibal returns to America and attempts to make contact with disgraced Agent Starling and survive a vengeful victim's plan.

My two cents:
Before this came out, there was a huge buzz about it for years. Jonathan Demme and Jodie Foster had dropped from this project but Ridley Scott was on board so I hoped it still will be impressive. I bought the tickets a week in advance and went to see it with 5 friends of mine. Eventually, it turned out to one of the biggest disappointment ever and the worst movie made by Ridley Scott. I'm not sure he or Anthony Hopkins should be blamed but the whole thing was just plain average and the ending was just downright ridiculous.

My rating: 05/10
johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 5940  Average listal rating (4113 ratings) 7.7  IMDB Rating 8.5
10. Gladiator (2000)

Cast : Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix, Connie Nielsen, Oliver Reed, Richard Harris, Derek Jacobi, Djimon Hounsou, David Hemmings

What was it about?
When a Roman general is betrayed and his family murdered by an emperor's corrupt son, he comes to Rome as a gladiator to seek revenge

My two cents:
I saw it back then with my buddies in the theater and I thought it was allright but nothing amazing. Since then, I have re-watched it at least 3 times but I still don't get why everybody seems to think it is one of the best movies ever made. I mean, it looks awesome, the directing is off the chart, Russel Crowe delivers an impressive performance but what about the story? Yes, it is entertaining but nothing amazing in my opinion. In my opinion, it is a decent flick but also terribly overrated.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 1029  Average listal rating (663 ratings) 5.5  IMDB Rating 5.8
11. G.I. Jane (1997)

Cast : Demi Moore, Viggo Mortensen, Anne Bancroft, Jim Caviezel

What was it about?
A female Senator succeeds in enrolling a woman into Navy SEALS training where everyone expects her to fail.

My two cents:
Beforehand, I wasn't expecting much from this flick since it was a huge flop and received poor reviews. Eventually, I thought it was not bad at all. Indeed, the title and the marketing were rather misleading and they tried to sell it as a standard action flick which it is not. Of course, it is rather flawed but I think it is actually worth a look.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 212  Average listal rating (136 ratings) 5.8  IMDB Rating 6.6
12. White Squall (1996)

Cast : Jeff Bridges, John Savage, Scott Wolf, Jeremy Sisto, Ryan Phillippe, Zeljko Ivanek

What was it about?
Teenage boys discover discipline and camaraderie on an ill-fated sailing voyage.

My two cents:
It is definitely one of the most obscure movies directed by Ridley Scott and his career wasn't doing so well back then. I took me a few years to finally see this flick but I thought it was not bad at all. Granted, the story was rather generic but the cast was pretty good (Jeff Bridges never disappoints) and the directing was solid.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 295  Average listal rating (187 ratings) 6.4  IMDB Rating 6.5
13. 1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992)

Cast : Gérard Depardieu, Sigourney Weaver, Loren Dean, Tchéky Karyo, Frank Langella

What was it about?
Christopher Columbus' discovery of the Americas and the effect this has on the indigenous people.

My two cents:
There was a huge buzz about this and the expectations were really high but many people thought it was a disappointment. Ok, it wasn't a masterpiece but I did like it. The directing was allright, the music by Vangelis was epic and I thought that Gérard Depardieu was a great casting choice. This movie definitely deserves a second chance.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 2171  Average listal rating (1333 ratings) 6.9  IMDB Rating 7.4
14. Thelma and Louise (1991)

Cast : Susan Sarandon, Geena Davis, Harvey Keitel, Michael Madsen, Brad Pitt

What was it about?
An Arkansas waitress and a housewife shoot a rapist and take off in a '66 Thunderbird.

My two cents:
It was a surprise success back then and this flick received a lot of love but, honestly, in my opinion, it is just a standard buddy movie with a pseudo feminist message and an over-sentimental ending. Still, I have to admit, it is very well made and the cast was really good with a breakthrough performance by someone called Brad Pitt but I think it is yet another overrated feature directed by Ridley Scott.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 436  Average listal rating (288 ratings) 6.2  IMDB Rating 6.6
15. Black Rain (1989)

Cast : Michael Douglas, Andy Garcia, Kate Capshaw

What was it about?
Two New York cops get involved in a gang war between members of the Yakuza, the Japanese Mafia. They arrest one of their killers and are ordered to escort him back to Japan. In Japan, however, he manages to escape. As they try to track him down, they get deeper and deeper into the Japanese Mafia scene and they have to learn that they can only win by playing the game the Japanese way.

My two cents:
I had some rather low expectations about this one and it is probably why I enjoyed it. I mean, there is absolutely no substance about it but I thought it was very well made and pretty entertaining. There is a good mood about it and it has actually nothing else to offer but it was enough for me. It is another feature I should re-watch to make up my mind for good.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 90  Average listal rating (54 ratings) 5.6  IMDB Rating 6.1
16. Someone to Watch Over Me (1987)

Cast : Tom Berenger, Mimi Rogers, Lorraine Bracco

What was it about?
A married New York cop falls for the socialite murder witness he's been assigned to protect.

My two cents:
It is probably the most obscure and forgotten movie directed by Ridley Scott and I'm afraid it does deserve its status. The title is rather lame, the story was pretty weak and the two main actors are now huge has-beens. Still, Ridley Scott managed thanks to his awesome directing to make the whole thing watchable and mostly entertaining.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 767  Average listal rating (485 ratings) 6.4  IMDB Rating 6.4
17. Legend (1985)

Cast : Tom Cruise, Tim Curry

What was it about?
A young man must stop the Lord of Darkness from both destroying daylight and marrying the woman he loves.

My two cents:
This flick usually doesn't get much love but I thought it was actually pretty good. It is basically a rather weak story with some awesome visuals (a trademark in most of Ridley Scott's work). In my opinion, he managed to create a fascinating world with a truelly badass villain. I also loved the introduction with a terrific speech by Darkness himself.

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 3763  Average listal rating (2442 ratings) 8  IMDB Rating 8.2
18. Blade Runner (1982)

Cast : Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, M. Emmet Walsh, Daryl Hannah

What was it about?
Deckard, a blade runner, has to track down and terminate 4 replicants who hijacked a ship in space and have returned to earth seeking their maker.

My two cents:
Before watching 'Prometheus', I was hoping something from this caliber. Not some pseudo half-baked methaphysical tale, but just some solid, thought provoking and awe aspiring SF. This movie is so visually awesome, it could be released today and young viewers wouldn't even notice it is actually 30(!) years old. It is one of my favorite movies of all time and I'm still waiting something that good coming from Ridley Scott.

My rating: 09/10

johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 3900  Average listal rating (2676 ratings) 8  IMDB Rating 8.5
19. Alien (1979)

Cast : Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt, Harry Dean Stanton, John Hurt, Ian Holm, Yaphet Kotto

What was it about?
A mining ship, investigating a suspected SOS, lands on a distant planet. The crew discovers some strange creatures and investigates.

My two cents:
Personally, I'm more a 'Blade Runner' fan which I found more cerebral but it is still some really awesome SF. I mean, there are so many iconic landmarks here : Ripley, the Alien, the chest-burting scene, Ash,... Visually, it is really impressive and Ridley Scott has managed to create a really oppressive mood which has been copied so many times afterwards. It is a very good movie and better than 'Aliens', in my opinion.

My rating: 08/10
johanlefourbe's rating:

People who added this item 228  Average listal rating (129 ratings) 7.1  IMDB Rating 7.5
20. The Duellists (1977)

Cast : Keith Carradine, Harvey Keitel, Albert Finney, Edward Fox

What was it about?
Set during the grand, sweeping Napoleonic age, an officer in the French army insults another officer and sets off a life-long enmity. The two officers, D'Hubert and Feraud, cross swords time and time again in an attempt to achieve justice and preserve their honor.

My two cents:
Ridley Scott will be remembered for 'Alien', 'Blade Runner' and (unfortunately) 'Gladiator' but many people will forget that he actually started his career with this little gem. It is indeed an underrated and forgotten flick and it is actually pretty good. It seems to be a rather big and ambitious project for a debuting director and when you are watching it, it is difficult to believe that it is, in fact, his directing debut. It is not completely flawless and tends to drag along but the directing is really impressive and it is definitely worth a look.

johanlefourbe's rating:

Well, it is Sunday, it is raining outside and I have nothing else to do, so let's make a list!!!!

I noticed that I got some bad rep about the evolution lists and I was thinking about doing something similar with the directors. At first, I even was planning to call this list 'The evolution of Ridley Scott'! But then I figured, with such a title many people won't even look at it...

Anyway, I have a love-hate relationship with Ridley Scott and I thought he was a good choice to start this new concept. Enjoy!

Added to

A Complete review of various directors' work (33 lists)
list by johanlefourbe
Published 2 years, 3 months ago 15 comments
Filmography (80 lists)
list by Mr. Saturn
Published 2 years, 6 months ago
A Complete review of various directors' work (8 lists)
list by chandu
Published 2 years, 1 month ago
my fav list(12) (10 lists)
list by to2

18 item list by shelle1even
A Complete review of various directors' work
33 item list by johanlefourbe
34 votes 15 comments

View more top voted lists

People who voted for this also voted for

IMDB's Worst Movie Per Year - Updated 25/3/13

More lists from johanlefourbe

A Complete review of various directors' work
A Complete review of Martin Scorsese's work
A Complete review of Peter Jackson's work
The most memorable bad guys
Fun Times with Siskel and Ebert and Roeper
Best Directorial Debuts from 1914 until 2014

Comments

Posted: 2 years, 3 months ago at Jul 15 15:23
I like how mature your new lists have become... after when you finish this, are you gonna start on another director?
Posted: 2 years, 3 months ago at Jul 15 16:57
Looking forward to seeing this completed. I agree with you on Prometheus, which I finally watched this month.
Posted: 2 years, 3 months ago at Jul 15 17:28
@Happy Vader, Thanks man! I don't know, it is going to take a while before I'm done with list but the next candicate could be Steven Spielberg, Tim Burton, The Coen brothers, Paul Verhoeven or someone else entirely.... So many choices....
Posted: 2 years, 3 months ago at Jul 16 10:14
Great work on this! Been so long since I've seen Blade Runner, but now that I finally own a copy I should be rewatching it one of these days soon. Glad that while you're not the Alien fanatic that I am, you're sensible enough to observe that it's better than Cameron's sequel ;)

Hope to see more of these lists from you, though I know that a whole lot of work goes into something like this.
Posted: 2 years, 3 months ago at Jul 16 11:15
Hey, the update sure looks great and yes, I'm also more of a Blade Runner fan myself... nice work!
Posted: 2 years, 3 months ago at Jul 16 17:35
Love the way this turned out! I too would like to see more of these whenever you have the time. I definitely want to check out The Duellists, and now I know that I can continue skipping some of these. Didn't even realized he had directed some of these films before, but then I haven't always paid close attention to the names behind films (I do better now though). Nice job!
Posted: 2 years, 3 months ago at Jul 16 17:56
@the giraffe, 'The Duellists' is definitely worth a look. It is actually one of his best. If I re-watch it, I might even give it a 08/10.
Posted: 2 years, 3 months ago at Jul 17 15:00
It's a little strange to see you put so much effort into this list when you don't even seem to like his movies all that much :)
Posted: 2 years, 3 months ago at Jul 17 15:08
@Abhi, I love movies and I think Ridley Scott is a really interesting director. 'Blade Runner' is one of the best movies ever made and because of this one single movie, I have been fascinated by his work ever since but unfortunately, not everything he does is amazing but it is always entertaining and absolutely worth a look.

Furthermore, I don't see the point of making such a list if the only thing you are going to say is 'It was amazing! I just love it!'. I'd rather be critic about those movies, I think it is much more interesting. By the way, 07/10 is a good rating and 06/10 is pretty decent so except for 'Hannibal', I pretty much enjoyed everything he has done.
Posted: 2 years, 3 months ago at Jul 31 19:57
Great job! I like how you go into detail with your lists.
Posted: 1 year, 8 months ago at Feb 6 5:12
I may not agree with you on ratings. But hats off to you for your effort on making this list. Appreciated :) and thanks for reigniting passion for writing movies :)

Login or Signup to post a comment