Added by johanlefourbe on 13 Apr 2013 08:16
421 Views 1 Comments

A Complete Review of John Lasseter's work

Add header image

Choose file... or enter url:
Sort by: Showing 22 items
Decade: Rating: List Type:
People who added this item 70 Average listal rating (41 ratings) 5.2 IMDB Rating 0
Cars 3 (2017)
It was actually directed by Brian Fee. John Lasseter was executive producer on this feature.

Since I heard it was the best installment in this franchise, I thought it might turn out to be a decent watch. Well, eventually, even though I think that my nephew did enjoy the damned thing, I really had a hard time to understand what was supposedly so good about this movie. I mean, sure, the animation was solid (it was nothing amazing though) but I was rather suprised about how boring the story was after all. Before this movie was released, there was some interesting buzz about the fact that it was much darker than its predecessors but, eventually, its so-called darkness turned out to be vastly exaggerrated. I mean, sure, you get to see Lightning McQueen having a massive crash, something that was vastly exploited and displayed everywhere in the posters and in the trailers, but that was about it, everything else in the movie was seriously generic, predictable and rather tedious to behold and there was absolutely nothing dark at all about this tale. In fact, even though 'Cars 2' has a rather lame reputation, I actually enjoyed it slightly more than this borefest.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 640 Average listal rating (382 ratings) 6.6 IMDB Rating 7.4
Finding Dory (2016)
It was actually directed by Andrew Stanton and Angus MacLane. John Lasseter was executive producer on this feature.

Well, eventually, I thought it was a decent watch but not much than that, I’m afraid. Indeed, the first annoying thing is that, when your kids ask you ‘why did it take them more than 10 years to come up with a sequel?’, the official answer has always been ‘Well, they wanted to be sure that they had a great story’. Well, when you watch the damned thing, you really wonder why it took them so long to deliver something so derivative. I mean, they obviously wanted to convince us that it was something really different than ‘Finding Nemo’ but it was really pretty much the same thing which was really disappointing. At least, it was a very well made animated feature, really gorgeous to look at, with some really funny characters, and I think it is still worth a look but I wish Pixar would stop making those cheap sequels.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 384 Average listal rating (278 ratings) 6.2 IMDB Rating 6.8
It was actually directed Peter Sohn. John Lasseter was executive producer on this feature.

Eventually, 'Inside Out' turned out to be pretty amazing but, to be honest, I had my doubts that this 2nd feature from Pixar would manage to impress me as well and, indeed, it turned out to be a rather weak effort. I mean, don’t misunderstand me, it was still fairly entertaining but it never reached the level of their numerous masterpieces. I mean, the whole concept seemed interesting as it was about what the world would look like if the dinosaurs would have survived. Well, not much, if you believe this movie. Indeed, apparently, at the end of the day, the dinosaurs would have been slightly more evolved than us, growing up some crops and managing their own cattle which was all rather underwhelming. Still, the animation was once again mind-blowing and completely gorgeous to look at and Spot, the young boy, was also truly amazing.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1205 Average listal rating (862 ratings) 7.6 IMDB Rating 8.2
Inside Out (2015)
It was actually directed by Pete Docter and Ronaldo Del Carmen. John Lasseter was executive producer on this feature.

At last... After 5 long years and a couple of disappointing sequel/prequels, Pixar has finally come back with an amazing feature. As soon as I have heard about the interesting concept, I was already excited but since they already let me down with 'Brave', I was still a little bit cautious. Eventually, there was really nothing to worry about. Indeed, the whole thing was just downright impressive and it worked on every possible level. As expected, the animation was quite gorgeous, even though I easily could have done without the 3D. Above all, it is the amount of depth in the story and the characters involved that made the whole thing quite mesmerizing to behold.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1292 Average listal rating (807 ratings) 7 IMDB Rating 7.3
It was actually directed by Dan Scanlon. John Lasseter was executive producer on this feature.

Eventually, I was positively surprised. I mean, it was still not really great but it was as least as good as 'Toy Story 3' and a big improvement on 'Brave' and 'Cars 2'. What worked this time was basically the fact that the two main characters, Mike and Sullivan, evolves in a realistic and compelling way and, at the end, you really believe that those guys are the best friends in the world. Unfortunately, once again just like 'Toy Story 3', the story was nothing really amazing. I mean, those two fascinating characters were stuck in this plot about college life which was fun but basically just an assembly of the common clichés you get about college movies. Still, I actually liked the damned thing.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1788 Average listal rating (1138 ratings) 7 IMDB Rating 7.2
Brave (2012)
It was actually directed by Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman and Steve Purcell. John Lasseter was executive producer on this feature.

Unfortunately, this was the 3rd disappointing picture in a row for the great Pixar (indeed, even though I thought 'Toy Story 3' was pretty good, I didn't think it was mind-blowing at all). I guess we have been spoiled by Pixar, the only studio in the world capable of delivering one masterpiece after the other. The amazing thing about this new flick is that even though it was disappointing, it was still pretty good actually. Indeed, the whole thing was just really beautiful, so full of details, it was just a marvel to behold. Unfortunaly, the story was pretty weak.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 984 Average listal rating (595 ratings) 5.3 IMDB Rating 6.2
Cars 2 (2011)

Cast : Larry the Cable Guy, Owen Wilson, Michael Caine, Emily Mortimer, Eddie Izzard, John Turturro, Thomas Kretschmann, Bonnie Hunt, Franco Nero, Tony Shalhoub, Jason Isaacs, Bruce Campbell, Vanessa Redgrave

What was it about?
Star race car Lightning McQueen and his pal Mater head overseas to compete in the World Grand Prix race. But the road to the championship becomes rocky as Mater gets caught up in an intriguing adventure of his own: international espionage.

My two cents:
It is probably the least regarded movie made by Pixar so far but, surprisingly, I found it quite enjoyable. To be honest, I do think that my rating might be too generous and a re-watch might drop it consequently. The point is that the first installment was already poorly received so it seemed a rather odd move to make a sequel. Some argued that it was made in the first place just to sell even more merchandizing which is a pretty nasty thought considering that Pixar has always been synonymous with creativity. Still, since I didn't expect much from this flick, I thought it was actually pretty good or, at least, a slight improvement on its predecessor.

My rating: 7/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 3639 Average listal rating (2326 ratings) 8.1 IMDB Rating 8.3
Toy Story 3 (2010)
It was actually directed by Lee Unkrich. John Lasseter was executive producer on this feature.

Honestly, I liked Toy Story 3, I really did, but I really failed to see what was so great about it. Indeed, after its release, it was hailed as a real bonafide masterpiece but, personally, I don't think it was as good as many other Pixar features. The point is that as usual the animation was great, especially if you compare it to the very first 'Toy Story' and they developed some interesting ideas about what will happen with them when their owner grow old. Still, I didn't care much about the whole escaping thing. I mean, it was entertaining enough but nothing amazing, especially compared to the previous installments.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 4475 Average listal rating (2932 ratings) 8 IMDB Rating 8.3
Up (2009)
It was actually directed by Pete Docter and Bob Peterson. John Lasseter was executive producer on this feature.

In my opinion, it is the last great picture made by Pixar. I mean, I hope they will make more masterpieces in the future but their last features were rather disappointing. Not this one though. First of all, you have this monster of an introduction. Indeed, the first ten minutes are among the most mind-blowing animated moments I have ever experienced in my life. After that, I have to admit, the movie has a hard time to live up to this heartbreaking start-up but I still think it was really impressive. Of course, the animation was just gorgeous but, above all, it is really amazing how they managed to create such a touching and entertaining story starring a grumpy old guy, a fat Asian kid, a talking dog and a weird bird.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 33 Average listal rating (18 ratings) 6.3 IMDB Rating 6.7
Tokyo Mater (2008)

Cast : Larry the Cable Guy

What was it about?
A routine tow lands Mater in Tokyo, where he is challenged to a drift-style race against a nefarious gang leader and his posse of ninjas. With the help of his friend, 'Dragon' Lightning McQueen, and some special modifications, Mater attempts to drift to victory and become 'Tow-ke-O Mater, King of all Drifters.'

My two cents:
After 'Cars' came out, they made a few short features starring Mater as main character and this one was directed by John Lasseter himself. To be honest, I never cared about 'Cars' which ought to be one of the most underwhelming efforts by Pixar but I actually liked this short. I mean, it is nothing mind-blowing whatsoever but I really liked this parody of 'The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift' and I thought it was quite fun, no more, no less.

My rating: 7/10
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 5052 Average listal rating (3322 ratings) 8.1 IMDB Rating 8.4
WALL·E (2008)
It was actually directed by Andrew Stanton. John Lasseter was executive producer on this feature.

It is pure and simply my favorite Pixar feature. In my opinion, the whole thing was just mind-blowing. Where should I start? The animation was great, the story (which has been criticized as unoriginal and weak) was really entertaining and deep enough in my opinion and the main character was just awesome. I mean, in our modern age, it is a really bold move to have a non-talking robot as your main character but I thought it was a great decision. I thought it was a fascinating little fellow, involved in a touching love story. Just love this flick, enough said.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 4397 Average listal rating (2845 ratings) 7.5 IMDB Rating 8
Ratatouille (2007)
It was actually directed by Brad Bird and Jan Pinkava. John Lasseter was executive producer on this feature.

To be honest, the plot sounded pretty lame. I mean, come on! An animated feature about a cooking rat didn't really sound exciting on paper. You could imagine that their buddies at Disney could have make one of their underwhelming animated flicks involving those tedious talking animals. However, Pixar apparently can/could handle any kind of story and this one was once against an amazing piece. Indeed, the animation was gorgeous, the food looked great and the story was damned entertaining and touching as well. Once again, an impressive achievement.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 3327 Average listal rating (2063 ratings) 6.4 IMDB Rating 7.1
Cars (2006)

Cast : Owen Wilson, Paul Newman, Bonnie Hunt, Larry the Cable Guy, Tony Shalhoub, Michael Keaton, Jeremy Piven, Michael Schumacher, Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Billy Crystal, John Goodman

What was it about?
A hot-shot race-car named Lightning McQueen gets waylaid in Radiator Springs, where he finds the true meaning of friendship and family.

My two cents:
It is pure and simply the worst movie made by Pixar so far (though I'm not a huge fan of 'A Bug's Life' either) and that's why it is rather dubious that they decided to make a sequel for this. Still, it doesn't mean it is actually bad whatsoever. Indeed, Pixar hasn't made a real stinker yet. In this case, the animation is still way too gorgeous and the whole thing is still mildly entertaining. The point is that, this time, it was clearly aimed towards very young children and the rest of us didn't really care about the whole thing. Still, it has more charm and wit than many other animated features you can find on the market nowadays.

My rating: 6/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 6711 Average listal rating (4402 ratings) 7.2 IMDB Rating 8
It was actually directed by Brad Bird. John Lasseter was executive producer on this feature.

It was the first time Brad Bird made a movie for Pixar and it was a huge success. For Bird, it was a deserved revenge since his previous effort,'The Iron Giant', was criminally under seen. Anyway, I really enjoyed this super-hero flick. I must admit, after multiple re-watches, the flaws are more obvious but it is still a damned fine animated feature with some gorgeous animation and a completely entertaining plot from the beginning until the end. Once again, Pixar took a concept done to death but gave it a little twist and as result, the whole thing was quite spellbinding to watch. In my opinion, it is just another classic.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 8048 Average listal rating (5183 ratings) 7.6 IMDB Rating 8.1
Finding Nemo (2003)
It was actually directed by Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich. John Lasseter was executive producer on this feature.

I remember, when it was released, it was pretty huge. Back then, I went to see it with my father and I thought it was pretty neat that I was with him but I'm not sure if he had the same experience. Anyway, I really loved this flick. Back in those days, it seemed that those guys from Pixar had decided to blow us away every time around and every feature they produced was better than the previous one. It's too bad they didn't manage to extend this miraculous hot streak but I guess they are human after all. Anyway, it is a gorgeous animated feature with a great story, touching and entertaining at the same time.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 6313 Average listal rating (4277 ratings) 7.5 IMDB Rating 8.1
It was actually directed by Pete Docter, David Silverman and Lee Unkrich. John Lasseter was executive producer on this feature.

Like most of the Pixar pictures, I have seen this one in the theater ('Cars' must be the only one that I didn't see when it was released) and it was probably the first Pixar movie I showed to my 6 years old daughter. Even though it might be overlooked and considered a mere kids flick, it is actually enjoyable for anyone. Indeed, even though it is now more than 10 years old, the animation still looks great. Furthermore, the story is really entertaining filled with hilarious characters. As usual, Pixar tackles a concept which sounded promising but it is above all the sensitive and smart way they chose to handle this concept that makes this feature quite spellbinding to watch.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 4979 Average listal rating (3217 ratings) 7.2 IMDB Rating 7.9
Toy Story 2 (1999)

Cast : Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Joan Cusack, Kelsey Grammer

What was it about?
When Woody is stolen by a toy collector, Buzz and his friends vow to rescue him, but Woody finds the idea of immortality in a museum tempting.

My two cents:
Even though the guys at Pixar are clearly focusing on sequels nowadays (which is something really disappointing), their very first sequel was actually really amazing. Personally, I would have a really hard time to choose between this movie and its predecessor which one I actually prefer. Obviously, they improved the animation but, story wise, they are both great. The best part is that it was supposed to be a direct-to-DVD release (like all the inane sequels made by Disney...) but the producers thought it was so good, they deemed it worth a theatrical release. Thank God for that.

My rating: 8/10
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 4356 Average listal rating (2782 ratings) 6.7 IMDB Rating 7.2
A Bug's Life (1998)

Cast : Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Hayden Panettiere, Denis Leary, Bonnie Hunt

What was it about?
A misfit ant, looking for "warriors" to save his colony from greedy grasshoppers, recruits a group of bugs that turn out to be an inept circus troupe.

My two cents:
Personally, I never really cared about this flick. I should probably re-watch it some day but I'm not really optimist. Back in those days, DreamWorks released their first CGI animated feature and it happened to be about bugs as well so there was a big debate about which one would be the best. Apparently, Pixar's effort was slightly more successful but, personally, I preferred 'Antz'. Indeed, this 2nd full length feature by Pixar was a little too childish for my taste. Still, the animation is solid and the whole thing is definitely entertaining enough.

My rating: 6/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 7354 Average listal rating (4812 ratings) 7.6 IMDB Rating 8.3
Toy Story (1995)

Cast : Tom Hanks, Tim Allen

What was it about?
A cowboy doll is profoundly threatened and jealous when a new spaceman figure supplants him as top toy in a boy's room.

My two cents:
So, that's where it all started. Of course, Pixar was working on CGI animation for more than a decade but it was their first full length feature, the first time they reached a broad audience. It was obviously a huge success and, eventually, it became a major milestone in motion picture history. Indeed, suddenly, hand-drawn animation which was mercilessly ruled by Disney was dropped and everyone, virtually every single studio, started to make CGI animated features with various success. Coming back to our game changer, I had the pleasure to see it in the theater when it was released (like most of Pixar features) and it was quite mind-blowing. Back in those days, it was something completely new and even though it does look a little bit old today, it was really impressive when it was released. Above all, their masterstroke was to not only blew us away technically but also to provide an entertaining, touching and rather deep story with some great characters which would be an enduring trademark in Pixar's work.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 362 Average listal rating (254 ratings) 7.1 IMDB Rating 7.6
Knick Knack (1989)

What was it about?
A snowglobe snowman wants to join the other travel souvenirs in a hot party, but the glass dome that surrounds him gets in his way, despite all his efforts.

My two cents:
As a matter of fact, I have re-watched it recently and it was a great reminder about how much I love this short. Indeed, it is probably one of my favorites made by Pixar. Of course, the animation doesn't look as amazing as nowadays but, back in those days, those guys from Pixar were still experimenting and it was quite impressive in my opinion. Above all, I just think the whole thing is really hilarious which is something I have been missing in the more recent shorts produced by Pixar.