Added by johanlefourbe on 13 Apr 2013 08:16
429 Views 1 Comments

A Complete Review of John Lasseter's work

Add header image

Choose file... or enter url:
Sort by: Showing 9 items
Decade: Rating: List Type:
People who added this item 999 Average listal rating (630 ratings) 5.2 IMDB Rating 0
Cars 2 (2011)

Cast : Larry the Cable Guy, Owen Wilson, Michael Caine, Emily Mortimer, Eddie Izzard, John Turturro, Thomas Kretschmann, Bonnie Hunt, Franco Nero, Tony Shalhoub, Jason Isaacs, Bruce Campbell, Vanessa Redgrave

What was it about?
Star race car Lightning McQueen and his pal Mater head overseas to compete in the World Grand Prix race. But the road to the championship becomes rocky as Mater gets caught up in an intriguing adventure of his own: international espionage.

My two cents:
It is probably the least regarded movie made by Pixar so far but, surprisingly, I found it quite enjoyable. To be honest, I do think that my rating might be too generous and a re-watch might drop it consequently. The point is that the first installment was already poorly received so it seemed a rather odd move to make a sequel. Some argued that it was made in the first place just to sell even more merchandizing which is a pretty nasty thought considering that Pixar has always been synonymous with creativity. Still, since I didn't expect much from this flick, I thought it was actually pretty good or, at least, a slight improvement on its predecessor.

My rating: 7/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 33 Average listal rating (21 ratings) 6.2 IMDB Rating 6.7
Tokyo Mater (2008)

Cast : Larry the Cable Guy

What was it about?
A routine tow lands Mater in Tokyo, where he is challenged to a drift-style race against a nefarious gang leader and his posse of ninjas. With the help of his friend, 'Dragon' Lightning McQueen, and some special modifications, Mater attempts to drift to victory and become 'Tow-ke-O Mater, King of all Drifters.'

My two cents:
After 'Cars' came out, they made a few short features starring Mater as main character and this one was directed by John Lasseter himself. To be honest, I never cared about 'Cars' which ought to be one of the most underwhelming efforts by Pixar but I actually liked this short. I mean, it is nothing mind-blowing whatsoever but I really liked this parody of 'The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift' and I thought it was quite fun, no more, no less.

My rating: 7/10
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 3344 Average listal rating (2108 ratings) 6.4 IMDB Rating 0
Cars (2006)

Cast : Owen Wilson, Paul Newman, Bonnie Hunt, Larry the Cable Guy, Tony Shalhoub, Michael Keaton, Jeremy Piven, Michael Schumacher, Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Billy Crystal, John Goodman

What was it about?
A hot-shot race-car named Lightning McQueen gets waylaid in Radiator Springs, where he finds the true meaning of friendship and family.

My two cents:
It is pure and simply the worst movie made by Pixar so far (though I'm not a huge fan of 'A Bug's Life' either) and that's why it is rather dubious that they decided to make a sequel for this. Still, it doesn't mean it is actually bad whatsoever. Indeed, Pixar hasn't made a real stinker yet. In this case, the animation is still way too gorgeous and the whole thing is still mildly entertaining. The point is that, this time, it was clearly aimed towards very young children and the rest of us didn't really care about the whole thing. Still, it has more charm and wit than many other animated features you can find on the market nowadays.

My rating: 6/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 4999 Average listal rating (3266 ratings) 7.2 IMDB Rating 0
Toy Story 2 (1999)

Cast : Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Joan Cusack, Kelsey Grammer

What was it about?
When Woody is stolen by a toy collector, Buzz and his friends vow to rescue him, but Woody finds the idea of immortality in a museum tempting.

My two cents:
Even though the guys at Pixar are clearly focusing on sequels nowadays (which is something really disappointing), their very first sequel was actually really amazing. Personally, I would have a really hard time to choose between this movie and its predecessor which one I actually prefer. Obviously, they improved the animation but, story wise, they are both great. The best part is that it was supposed to be a direct-to-DVD release (like all the inane sequels made by Disney...) but the producers thought it was so good, they deemed it worth a theatrical release. Thank God for that.

My rating: 8/10
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 4364 Average listal rating (2804 ratings) 6.7 IMDB Rating 0
A Bug's Life (1998)

Cast : Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Hayden Panettiere, Denis Leary, Bonnie Hunt

What was it about?
A misfit ant, looking for "warriors" to save his colony from greedy grasshoppers, recruits a group of bugs that turn out to be an inept circus troupe.

My two cents:
Personally, I never really cared about this flick. I should probably re-watch it some day but I'm not really optimist. Back in those days, DreamWorks released their first CGI animated feature and it happened to be about bugs as well so there was a big debate about which one would be the best. Apparently, Pixar's effort was slightly more successful but, personally, I preferred 'Antz'. Indeed, this 2nd full length feature by Pixar was a little too childish for my taste. Still, the animation is solid and the whole thing is definitely entertaining enough.

My rating: 6/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 7382 Average listal rating (4867 ratings) 7.6 IMDB Rating 0
Toy Story (1995)

Cast : Tom Hanks, Tim Allen

What was it about?
A cowboy doll is profoundly threatened and jealous when a new spaceman figure supplants him as top toy in a boy's room.

My two cents:
So, that's where it all started. Of course, Pixar was working on CGI animation for more than a decade but it was their first full length feature, the first time they reached a broad audience. It was obviously a huge success and, eventually, it became a major milestone in motion picture history. Indeed, suddenly, hand-drawn animation which was mercilessly ruled by Disney was dropped and everyone, virtually every single studio, started to make CGI animated features with various success. Coming back to our game changer, I had the pleasure to see it in the theater when it was released (like most of Pixar features) and it was quite mind-blowing. Back in those days, it was something completely new and even though it does look a little bit old today, it was really impressive when it was released. Above all, their masterstroke was to not only blew us away technically but also to provide an entertaining, touching and rather deep story with some great characters which would be an enduring trademark in Pixar's work.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 364 Average listal rating (255 ratings) 7.1 IMDB Rating 0
Knick Knack (1989)

What was it about?
A snowglobe snowman wants to join the other travel souvenirs in a hot party, but the glass dome that surrounds him gets in his way, despite all his efforts.

My two cents:
As a matter of fact, I have re-watched it recently and it was a great reminder about how much I love this short. Indeed, it is probably one of my favorites made by Pixar. Of course, the animation doesn't look as amazing as nowadays but, back in those days, those guys from Pixar were still experimenting and it was quite impressive in my opinion. Above all, I just think the whole thing is really hilarious which is something I have been missing in the more recent shorts produced by Pixar.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 266 Average listal rating (194 ratings) 6.3 IMDB Rating 0
Tin Toy (1988)

What was it about?
A tin one-man-band toy tries to escape a destructive baby.

My two cents:
It is another pretty good short and, obviously, the inspiration for 'Toy Story'. Obviously, even though back then it must have been quite impressive, nowadays, it doesn't look really good, especially the baby looks quite awful. However, since the baby was some kind of monster, it fit the story quite well. It also explains why they decided to focus first on toys, bugs, fishes and monsters instead of humans because those looked terribly ugly. It is not before 16 more years with the release of 'The Incredibles' that they would finally dare to make a feature with humans as main characters.

My rating: 07/10