Added by johanlefourbe on 8 Mar 2013 11:26
1365 Views 9 Comments

A Complete Review of David Fincher's work

Sort by: Showing 12 items
Decade: Rating: List Type:
People who added this item 154 Average listal rating (104 ratings) 8.1 IMDB Rating 8.6

Cast : Anna Torv, Lena Olin

What was it about?
In the late 1970s two FBI agents expand criminal science by delving into the psychology of murder and getting uneasily close to all-too-real monsters.

My two cents:
Even though the movies delivered by Netflix have been only decent at best, they still deliver some of the best TV-shows right now and this one was also pretty awesome. Just like with 'House of Cards', David Fincher did direct the 2 first episodes but in this case, he also direct the last 2 episodes of the 1st season and the damned thing just looked amazing. On top of that, it is just a fascinating and realistic show with some really interesting characters so I really loved the damned thing.

My rating: 09/10
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1477 Average listal rating (997 ratings) 7.8 IMDB Rating 8.1

Cast : Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris, Tyler Perry, Patrick Fugit

What was it about?
With his wife's disappearance having become the focus of an intense media circus, a man sees the spotlight turned on him when it's suspected that he may not be innocent.

My two cents:
Well, once again,  Fincher came with a really original work and I'm actually surprised that it is actually so popular since it is far from being a maintream feature. Indeed,  it is probably his weirdest movie since 'Fight Club' with so many layers that I will probably keep thinking about it for many days.  The first layer is obviously a thriller about a man who might have killed his wife. Than, the second layer is a really pitch black comedy about an average guy who gets involved in this very weird media circus. This combination was already pure genius and like 'The Wolf of Wall Street', it was rather unexpected but very much welcome. Obviously,  it goes even further and it becomes this really weird study about how married life can make you think and or do the weirdest thing, even if in this case, it becomes pretty extreme but it was obviously all on purpose. To be honest,  I'm not sure that everything really did work but it was still a really good flick.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 737 Average listal rating (373 ratings) 8.3 IMDB Rating 8.9

Cast : Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright, Kate Mara

What was it about?
A Congressman works with his equally conniving wife to exact revenge on the people who betrayed him.

My two cents:
For some reasons, my wife thought it would be a good idea to offer me Netflix for Sinterklaas (some kind of Dutch Santa Claus). Anyway, the first thing I decided to watch on the streaming service was this show and I was seriously impressed. To be honest, I still have to watch a lot of episodes but, so far, I thought it was quite spellbinding and, to be honest, much better than big hits like 'The Walking Dead' or 'Game of Thrones'. Indeed, I think that politics is a fascinating subject and there might never be a better show dealing with this ever again. Furthermore, the cast, especially Kevin Spacey, is really good here.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1986 Average listal rating (1204 ratings) 7.6 IMDB Rating 7.8

Cast : Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara, Christopher Plummer, Stellan Skarsgård, Robin Wright, Joely Richardson, Goran Visnjic

What was it about?
Journalist Mikael Blomkvist is aided in his search for a woman who has been missing for forty years by Lisbeth Salander, a young computer hacker.

My two cents:
I found it really difficult to judge this movie... It has 'The Departed' syndrom all over it. I mean, it is a completely unnecessary remake of a movie which was already perfectly fine in the first place. What makes it even worse is that the first version was released only 2 years before and this 'new' version was way too similar to the first one. Still, if you put those facts aside, it is and remains a damned fine and entertaining thriller. First of all, congrats for Rooney Mara. I was really sceptical when I heard that she would portray Lisbeth Salander but her performance was more than convincing. Eventually, Salander remains one of the most fascinating characters ever created and the story was still really spellbinding. So, even though it is a completely unnecessary remake, even though it is not better than the first version, it was still really good nonetheless.

Watched Wanted Custom

Cast : Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Armie Hammer, Justin Timberlake, Rooney Mara, Rashida Jones

What was it about?
Harvard student Mark Zuckerberg creates the social networking website that would become known as Facebook, but is later sued by two brothers who claimed he stole their idea, and the co-founder who was later squeezed out of the business.

My two cents:
I thought it would be good but it was much better than that ! It was f*cking awesome !!! It is rather funny that when the rumors came out that David Fincher was making a movie about Facebook, many people started to trash him (check the boards on IMDB). Indeed, an average director would have made an average flick with this material. But Fincher succeeded in making one of the best movies of the year. It is quite an achievement. I remember it perfectly, I went to see this my wife in the theater and, after just 5 minutes, just after the break-up between Jesse Eisenberg and Rooney Mara, I was already hooked. I seriously don't care if Mark Zuckerberg is actually a completely different person in real life, the Mark Zuckerberg they showed in this movie was just fascinating and easily one of the best characters I have ever seen in any movie.

My rating: 09/10

Watched Wanted Custom

Cast : Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Julia Ormond, Elias Koteas, Jason Flemyng, Taraji P. Henson, Elle Fanning

What was it about?
Tells the story of Benjamin Button, a man who starts aging backwards with bizarre consequences.

My two cents:
Ever since this movie was released, I was really dying to watch it. I missed it when it was released and eventually bought it on DVD, expecting to watch a modern masterpiece but guess what? I thought it was eventually rather disappointing. I mean, it is not a bad movie, not at all, it is actualy pretty good, it looked gorgeous and the actors were great aswell but what was eventually the point of all this ?!? The movie starts with a guy born old and... that's about it! During 3 hours, there is not much discussion about the implications of this predicament, about his feelings and his thoughts or the feelings and thoughts of the people around him. So, I thought it was rather underwhelming. Basically, the whole movie is based on this, on the fact that the character grows younger but, in my case, that wasn't enough. I wanted a real story involving this man or some great characters, one of those two. To conclude, in my opinion, even though it remains a good movie, it still belongs to the overrated work made by Fincher.

My rating: 07/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 3301 Average listal rating (2060 ratings) 7.1 IMDB Rating 7.7

Cast : Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, Anthony Edwards, Robert Downey Jr., Brian Cox, Chloë Sevigny, Elias Koteas

What was it about?
A San Francisco cartoonist becomes an amateur detective obsessed with tracking down the Zodiac killer.

My two cents:
In my opinion, it is easily one of the most underrated movies made by David Fincher. Somehow, it was a flop at the box-office but I think it was really undeserved. In my opinion, Fincher had grown since he made 'Seven' 12 years before and made this time around one of the most fascinating serial-killer movies ever made. I mean, the amount of details to create the time period was just mind-blowing, the cast was just perfect and the whole thing was just downright fascinating. This time, the focus was not really put on the psychopath himself but on the people obsessively chasing him and I really enjoyed this approach. Basically, Fincher tried to make a cerebral thriller and it seemed that the audience simply punished him as they would rather not think for 3 hours and would rather have some serviceable serial-killer flick with a preposterous plot and some annoying twist(s) at the end.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 3141 Average listal rating (2021 ratings) 6.4 IMDB Rating 6.8

Cast : Jodie Foster, Kristen Stewart, Forest Whitaker, Dwight Yoakam, Jared Leto

What was it about?
A woman and her teenage daughter become imprisoned in the panic room of their own house by 3 criminals.

My two cents:
It is obviously David Fincher's weakest effort so far. I mean, the die-hard fans could argue otherwise, but there was nothing really amazing about this movie and even Fincher himself described it, at some point, as a low-budget B-film. Of course, it is not bad at all. The whole thing looked terrific, I wouldn't expect less from such a director, and it was still rather entertaining. The point is that there is, this time, in contrary to all the other movies made by Fincher, an obvious lack of ambition to make something else, something brilliant, and as a result you end up with a solid but still rather generic thriller.

My rating: 06/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 9033 Average listal rating (5704 ratings) 8.4 IMDB Rating 8.8

Cast : Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, Helena Bonham Carter, Meat Loaf, Jared Leto

What was it about?
An insomniac office worker looking for a way to change his life crosses paths with a devil-may-care soap maker and they form an underground fight club that evolves into something much, much more...

My two cents:
I know, it might surprise you, but indeed, I gave this movie a perfect 10. It is something I rarely do but, in my opinion, this movie is just really flawless. I have seen it again recently and just like when I saw it in the theater when it was released, I was once again blown away. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed it even more this time around. Indeed, back in 1999, there was this very misleading marketing strategy focusing on the fighting when the movie had actually much more to offer. This time, I could watch it with a fresh mind and I completely connected with it. It is simply visually amazing, Brad Pitt and Edward Norton gave some of their best performances, it is really entertaining and fun to watch but also so thoughtful. In my opinion, you shouldn't see it as some kind of philosophic feature but as the description of a really disturbed mind who happens to have a few interesting ideas and happens to be so charismatic that many people would actually follow him in his demented quest. Basically, I just love this movie.

My rating: 10/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 2029 Average listal rating (1317 ratings) 7.3 IMDB Rating 7.8

Cast : Michael Douglas, Sean Penn, Deborah Kara Unger

What was it about?
Wealthy financier Nicholas Van Orton gets a strange birthday present from wayward brother Conrad: a live-action game that consumes his life.

My two cents:
I'm such a huge fan of this movie and, in my opinion, it is easily the most underrated movie made by David Fincher. It seems to be a trend in Fincher's career that some really amazing gems such as 'Zodiac' or this movie were barely noticed whereas some other lesser work, at least in my opinion, such as 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' for example were very well received. Anyway, coming back to our main subject, I really loved this movie. Once again, you have the same great Fincher visuals but, this time, there was a real depth in this story, dealing with what people needs in their life when they have reached all their goals or how far are we ready to go to be entertained. Of course, there are some obvious plot holes but the sheer ambition behind this project managed to make me forget about those. At this point, 'Fight Club' is my favorite Fincher feature but this one is great as well, and remains just behind at the second spot.

My rating: 9/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 6294 Average listal rating (4267 ratings) 8.1 IMDB Rating 8.6

Cast : Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Spacey

What was it about?
Two detectives, a rookie and a veteran, hunt a serial killer who uses the seven deadly sins as his modus operandi.

My two cents:
I know, it is rather weird that, even though I'm a huge fan of David Fincher's work, I don't really like what is supposed to be his best movie. First of all, I want to make something clear, I don't think it is a bad movie, not at all. As a matter of fact, there are many things to enjoy in this flick. Indeed, it looks terrific, the mood is awesome, the cast was really good and it is definitely an entertaining movie. However, in my opinion, there is nothing really amazing about the story. Yes, it is entertaining but also really shallow. Basically, it is a basic thriller with an omnipotent serial-killer who knows everything, controls everything and has apparently an unlimited budget. I'm sorry but I never really cared for this genre and even though it is indeed one of the best in this category, it just played along with the formula without adding much anything really new or interesting to it. At least, that's my opinion and I think it is one of the most overrated movies ever made.

My rating: 6/10