Added by Nattkrypet on 12 Aug 2017 07:45
2 Views No comments

Book Reviews (1-50)

Add header image

Choose file... or enter url:
Sort by: Showing 13 items
Rating: List Type:
After 300 pages and thousands of descriptions of tournaments and different opposing kings that knights of Arthur has to fight so that they can become friends with their king I gave up because the stories had no momentum and didn't seem to progress. Instead it felt repeating to the boresome. Maybe one day I will finish it because there is no doubt that the Arthur stories are interesting as they have inspired so much, but I doubt I will do it before I arrive very old age and have time to read these books deeply and thoroughly. It is impossible in a family house at least. Sadly, this was a major disappointment to me, but maybe I will try to find an edited version with updated language and faster descriptions instead as this didn't stick with me.
Owned Wanted Read Custom
People who added this item 10 Average listal rating (8 ratings) 8.6 IMDB Rating 0
Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown_II
It is a fast read with an engaging hero, but Brown copycats from old famous conspiracy theories and Tom Egeland (who has written in this genre before him). Pure fun pulp fiction though.
People who added this item 4 Average listal rating (4 ratings) 7 IMDB Rating 0
Airframe - Michael Crichton
Fascinating thriller taken from the airplane manifacture industry. It feels realistic (and was inspired by a true event) and the characters are well-written, but the pay-off is a little anti-climatic.
Owned Wanted Read Custom
People who added this item 9 Average listal rating (5 ratings) 9.6 IMDB Rating 0
Excellent cold war spy thriller. It deliver a chilling story about the Berlin Wall and Le Carre writes it truthfully and believable. With this book Le Carre started his career as the leading writer in this genre and it is no wonder that another legendary writer (Graham Greene) wrote "it is the best spy novel I have ever read".
Owned Wanted Read Custom
People who added this item 16 Average listal rating (10 ratings) 7 IMDB Rating 0
Smilla's Sense of Snow - Peter Høeg
An intriguing Greenland heroine makes this one of the more unique crime mysteries, but Høeg seems to loven describe everything scientifically about snow as if we were to take the master degree in anything related to it - and this drags the story down in both pace and interest. Luckily the longer passages regarding the social differences between the Greenlenders and their old conquering Danes are interesting to read. Still it was a slower read to me and the pace only picks up after 200 pages or so.
Owned Wanted Read Custom
Any serious horror fan can not avoid H.P. Lovecraft's universe. The creator of otherworldly cosmic monsters, insane scientists and eerie dreams. Better is that his stories hold up well and are excellent, even his minor work is pretty interesting - and this book collects everything.
Owned Wanted Read Custom
People who added this item 348 Average listal rating (150 ratings) 7.9 IMDB Rating 0
Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
Neil Gaiman rewrote his teleplays for the original miniseries into a book - and it works enormously better for it. Actually his rich "alternate universe" story is among his better developed stories and I like it enormously.
Owned Wanted Read Custom
People who added this item 340 Average listal rating (189 ratings) 7.5 IMDB Rating 0
Carrie - Stephen King
Carrie is still a remarkable debut book. It is extremly well written and without a single dead beat. The leading character is a fantastic misunderstood anti-heroine who takes "justice" in her own hands and would almost go as a superhero/villain today. I like how King splice his story with newspaper cuts and articles to explain plot holes. There is much to love for this and it was a major taste of what was to come.
People who added this item 1 Average listal rating (1 ratings) 6 IMDB Rating 0
The Abominable: A Novel - Dan Simmons
It is a long read, but a satisfying one if you are into thriller's that take place during the climbing of Mount Everest. Sadly, the title hints about a deadly horrific meeting with the Abominable Snowman, but it ends up being something more terrifying to life: nazis.
Owned Wanted Read Custom
Like an anti-Forrest Gump book, but instead of being an American "greatest hits" story, this story is about a man who meet the best bad boys of the world post-WW2. One of the funnier books that I have happened to read.
Owned Wanted Read Custom
People who added this item 3 Average listal rating (2 ratings) 7.5 IMDB Rating 0
Compared to many of Stephen King's other books this is a quite different experience. It is closer to a novella actually than a novel and is about a girl lost in the woods with only her love for baseball taking her through the ordeal. There is a hungry bear-like creature here too, but this is only at the end and most of the book is King at his most realistic and believable.
People who added this item 4 Average listal rating (3 ratings) 7 IMDB Rating 0
Gai-Jin - James Clavell
It is an epic undertaking trying to explain Japanese events through the eyes of European attempts of colonization of the island. The character portraits are intriguing, but it is sometimes hard to read about the brutal treatment of women and the hateful racist hate between Asians and Europeans.
Owned Wanted Read Custom
This is a darkly funny book of poems about the type of misfit characters that Tim Burton was so good telling about in his prime years, but forgot to do on film after becoming too Disney. Then it is nice to find this gem of a book that was a huge inspiration on the just as funny dark web-shorts series called "Stain Boy" which is also worth checking out. I hope that Burton will return again to this kind of universe. We will all welcome him back.

Added to

Related lists

Movie Reviews (1-50)
50 item list by Nattkrypet
7 votes 1 comment
TV and Mini-Series Reviews (1-50)
50 item list by Nattkrypet
50 item list by Dan
41 votes 24 comments
Total Film's 50 Best Book to Movie Adaptations
52 item list by moviebuff

View more top voted lists