Added by johanlefourbe on 23 Nov 2011 03:53
2233 Views 8 Comments

2011 movies - Personal review and Awards

Add header image

Choose file... or enter url:
Sort by: Showing 20 items
Decade: Rating: List Type:

Best Picture of the year

People who added this item 1690 Average listal rating (931 ratings) 7 IMDB Rating 6.8
Notes: There is some obvious love-hate relationship towards this movie. Honestly, I'm not sure I really loved it but when it touched me, it was pretty awesome and no other movie this year managed to reach this level of intensity.

(this boy gave a totally amazing performance)

Grand Jury prize

People who added this item 1842 Average listal rating (1196 ratings) 7.1 IMDB Rating 7.5
Source Code (2011)
For those who don't know, in a festival, the Grand Jury prize honors a great movie which just missed the biggest prize.

Notes: Honestly, I do think it is a little bit overrated but for a mainstream SF flick, it is definitely well made and entertaining and the whole thing was really compelling to watch.

Best Male Perfomance

People who added this item 1115 Average listal rating (745 ratings) 7.1 IMDB Rating 7.6
Moneyball (2011)
Notes: This year, I was really blown away by Brad Pitt. I preferred his performance in 'Moneyball' which was, in my opinion, more nuanced and complex but he was also pretty impressive in 'The Tree of Life'. To complete this, Brad Pitt also voiced one of the krills in 'Happy Feet 2', providing the most hilarious scenes in this disappointing sequel. To conclude, he displayed a very wide range this year providing 3 completely different performances and that's why he get this reward.

Best Female Perfomance

People who added this item 1740 Average listal rating (1160 ratings) 6.9 IMDB Rating 7
Super 8 (2011)
Notes: Surprisingly, the best female performance was provided by a child . Elle Fanning was one of the best thing in ´Super 8´ and she definitely gave the best performance of the movie. Even though the movie is a blockbuster special-effects extravaganza, she manages to give it some emotional ground.

Best Ensemble Performance

People who added this item 1289 Average listal rating (804 ratings) 6.3 IMDB Rating 6.6
Contagion (2011)

Jennifer Ehle

John Hawkes

Sanaa Lathan

Notes:
... and they all rocked!!!

Best Animated Picture

Notes: I had a hard time choosing between this flick and ´Rango´. Eventually, I think the story was a little more entertaining here than ´Rango´ which had a rather pedestrian plot. Furthermore, the animation was at the same time realistic and cartoony and just plain gorgeous to look at.

Most Fun Picture of the year

People who added this item 1934 Average listal rating (1221 ratings) 6.8 IMDB Rating 7.2
Notes: It may not be the best animated picture but it was a very fun flick. I mean, check this pic underneath! Rango was just a really weird and fun lead character, absolutely.

Best Sequel

People who added this item 1541 Average listal rating (972 ratings) 6.8 IMDB Rating 7.3
Notes: I wasn´t expecting much from this sequel and, to my surprise, I really enjoyed it. The animation was awesome and the story worked better so it was an improvement on the previous installment which is something quite unique when you deal with sequels.

Biggest disappointment

Notes: Since I wasn´t expecting much from this flick, I can´t say it disappointed me. No, I´m actually disappointed by Johnny Depp. I still love the guy and I still think he is a great actor but I do believe that he slowly starts to become a caricature of himself... When is he going to drop those boring blockbusters and go back to those amazing indie productions that nobody would watch except the real movie lovers (Dead Man, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Arizona Dream,...) ?

Worst Picture of the Year

People who added this item 1529 Average listal rating (964 ratings) 5.8 IMDB Rating 6.3
Notes: Honestly, I was positively surprised by the first Transformers flick. It was a fun, well made and entertaining blockbuster. However, with the sequels, the whole thing went down the drain (the pyramids! The moon! What next? Atlantis?!?). This 3rd movie was loud, dumb and not much fun whatsoever.

Add items to section

Other movies I have seen (from best to worst)

This list is NOT a prediction of the following award season.

It is my review of the 2011 movies I have seen and, for fun, I give some awards to the best (and worst movies) of the year.

If you are intested to see last year's results, check this list :
2010 movies - Personal review and Awards -

56 item list by Oliver
18 votes 3 comments
National Board of Review - Best Film
81 item list by AFIoscar

View more top voted lists

Comments

Posted: 6 years, 8 months ago at Dec 28 23:14
Agree with most of these so you get my vote!
Yeah, Hunter McCracken delivers one of the greatest child-star performances in a very long time.
TOTALLY agree about Transformers: Dark Of The Moon and Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.
Posted: 6 years, 8 months ago at Dec 28 23:40
Yes, the Transformers series went downhill fast! The first one was a light, fun family flick, but the second was painful to sit through. I didn't bother watching the third movie. :-)
Posted: 6 years, 8 months ago at Dec 29 11:30
I particularly like your pick for best female performance.
Posted: 6 years, 8 months ago at Jan 5 15:17
I agree with every choice except Best Female Performance i think Michelle Williams deserve the award for her role in My Week with Marilyn , Also where is Best Motion Picture, Foreign Language Film category ?
Posted: 6 years, 8 months ago at Jan 5 16:20
@mojack,

1. I haven't seen 'My week with Marylin'
2. I don't see the difference between 'Best picture of the year'(I chose 'The Tree of Life') and 'Best Motion Picture', so why should I add this category ?
3. I haven't seen any non-English speaking movies this year(English speaking movies are Foreign Language movies for me since I'm French-Dutch).
Posted: 6 years, 8 months ago at Jan 7 16:04
I meant "Best Foreign Language Film" but since u french then no need for that , thanks any way .
Posted: 6 years, 6 months ago at Feb 27 19:05
Don't agree with The Tree of Life at all, and I wonder if 5/10 ain't a bit too high of a rating to be the worst film of the year. Haven't you seen anyone who deserves a worse rating?

Yet, I'm also one who thinks that Contagion featured one of the best ensembles of the year. Possibly only beaten by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Added you here: www.listal.com/list/2011-films-top-10