Final Fantasy VII Reviews

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VII review

Posted : 2 years, 3 months ago on 13 January 2012 07:46

Just like with Metal Gear: Solid, it's hard to describe a game that has such a legendary reputation. It's a great game, and if you haven't played it, you really should. It seems like I keep ranking this game lower and lower the more I think about it, and I'm not sure exactly why. It's a game that I've sunk 70+ hours into, easily. I have a lot of memories attached to this one game. But I guess I just expect more from games today. It might be unfair to judge this game by modern standards, but I guess that just means it isn't aging very well. And it just seems especially weird to have a silent protagonist, because he just comes across a bit like Gordon Freeman. Some kind of weird, socially maladjusted, emotionally vacant shell of an almost-person. The story grows from a small-scale to an epic world-saving scenario, and is engaging throughout.

Final Fantasy 7

Posted : 4 years, 11 months ago on 13 May 2009 03:44

About The Game:
The first Final Fantasy for playstation, A great epic game that is still a hit now, and also has mini games about it, a movie, and more games of the different characters. Anyway the game starts with a overview with Midgar (Starting Town Area). After all that a train stops and a couple of people jump out of the train and hit the guards and run. One of the people that was with them was Cloud (Main Hero of the Game), Biggs, Wedge, (So this is were they were vanshed to from FF6) Jessie, and Barret (Barret will later on join your group. They were all there is destroy Shinra's bases to make Midgar better then what it is.
But Midgar is not the main problem of the game, the main problem is Sephiroth, an X-Soldier and also the best, he when crazy one day after he was his mother (Jenova) inside a testing tube. So now Cloud is on this big ass quest to fine this guy and kill him before he goes crazy to destroy the world.

Graphs:
The graphs really have improved since FF3/6 (Final Fantasy 3 or 6). They really got the 3d better and people say its the best game ever, and they still do now.

Music:
The music is a lot better but I would still liked if Shadow's Theme was in this one, but they did have one song that was a real catchy tune, and that was the Turks Theme. Everytime Reno, Rude, or Rufus came in, you would hear it.

What I liked:
My Favorite would have to been Reno & Rude, no matter how many times I fought them, them always had something up there sleve, but at the end they would always run away. And that Turk Theme, man... thats awesome. I know Reno's out there drinking a cold one at some bar, getting in shit for not winning every battle with you.

What I hated:
Sephiroth.... you bastard!, your the same as Kefka, but at least Kefka's not a Mommy's boy & doesn't talk to a dead person. I will give you 3 things I have about this ass, even tho, he is pretty cool.
1. Ok, Sephiroth are you crazy or what, why are you always talking about your Mother, thats all I ever hear from him. Sephiroth stop being a damn Mommy's boy.
2. Sephiroth you backstabber, I mean serious, why the hell would jump out of no where and backstab someone with a 8-10 foot blade. I understand Assasins but your a *@$&&*% Soldier (Didn't want to say the word cause little people may be reading) why the hell did you do that for. I will shove Sephiroth's face into dog shit.
3. ok the top one... Being a mommy's boy was retarded but talking to a dead mother, is just pass the limits and also thinking your hearing your mother's voice. God should come down here and B#$%@ Slap you!

And yea thats about it, over all it was a long game but a very fun one, with a sercet chatracter Vincent. over all its 10/10 for me, my next review should be about FF8, see you there!

Unclouded memories.

Posted : 5 years, 8 months ago on 3 August 2008 12:20

Final Fantasy VII marked the first foray into 3D RPG gaming for Japanese giant Squaresoft. It was also the first of three hugely successful titles released on the PlayStation console. For many of us growing up in the digital age, it is fondly remembered as a first RPG game and the immense success of the sequels is almost entirely attributable to the solid fan base that this particular game garnered. There are very few RPG series' that can claim to hold such a monopoly over the genre as the Final Fantasy legacy, which is a title that enjoys moderate recognition amongst casual game players, rather than just RPG aficionados.

The game itself throws you straight into the action. The first time I ever played it I was amazed at how the graphics of the opening FMV were seemingly interwoven with the start of the game. You take on the role of a cocky mercenary in the midst of a mission to detonate a huge energy reactor in a dystopian hell-hole of a city. Your character is flippant and disassociated with the task at hand, making it clear that he does not share any of the environmental motivations that fuel his allies on this mission. The three characters you meet early on form the core of the party for the rest of the game. From this point forward the story escalates in scope, beginning with missions in one major city, to eventually embarking on a global campaign to defend the world from celestial obliteration.

The story is epic in scope, building an intense rivalry between the game's protagonist - Cloud Strife, and his former colleague and elite SOLDIER - Sephiroth. As the story unravels, your enemy is increasingly portrayed as a demi-god whose quest for total domination will casually result in the destruction of the civilised world. The rivalry that escalates is intense and believable, made all the more poignant by the personal and mental toll it takes on the emotions and mindset of the protagonist.

At the time of its release, the graphics were lauded as revolutionary and extremely detailed. Nowadays, with the game over ten years old, no player would honestly use those words to describe the visuals. That is why I think it's remarkable that people still pick up and get into the game, even today. The FMV's still hold their own and are vital in conveying highly detailed parts of the storyline, as well as giving you a welcome higher definition example of what monster you are fighting, or how your characters look when they are not pixelated blocks of colour. Each character brings a unique personality to the table, all adding quite substantially to the storyline. Even the two 'hidden' characters have their own moments in the spotlight, with one of the two actually divulging a huge plot twist.

The battle schematics are as good as it gets for a turn-based Active Time Battle system. The magic and weapon systems allow a massive capacity for different tactics and playing styles. Characters are not restricted to a certain type of play as they have been in other Final Fantasy games (e.g a white mage, a black mage, etc), which dispels the established roles of men and women in your party. In my opinion, the Materia system has not been surpassed in any Final Fantasy sequel to date. The complement of limit breaks enhance the unique characteristics of each party member and when dishing them out to an enemy, the feel well-earned and actually have real compassion about them. There are multiple methods, tactics and strategies that can be employed to beat the toughest of enemies and despite playing through the game at least five times to completion, I've never felt as if I've completely mastered and made full use of the system.

Ultimately, the reason I fell in love with the game was its story and its characters. Although some personalities are certainly clich├ęd, they are, on the whole, a very flawed bunch who struggle with their new expected roles as saviours of the planet. With an increasingly psychotic and almost mythical antagonist taunting them along the journey, you are taken to new weird and wonderful locations, constantly battling against a quite brilliant supporting cast of non-playable characters. The game itself spawned an entire universe of follow-ons and sequels, but my advice would be to ignore them all and take the game as face value. It's much more interesting and debate sparking that way.

Please don't remake this. x

Posted : 6 years, 5 months ago on 15 November 2007 11:58

Anyone with a soul and an attention span would agree that this is the best RPG ever made and possibly one of the greatest video games of all time.

There are too many w*nkers on my side when I say this game is momentous. It's story and scale could never be replicated again. Square can keep churning out new titles and spin-off sequels but they will never capture this greatness again.

We take on the role of an Ex-SOLDIER whose life has brought him against his former employers and is now in a fight for the very life of the planet he lives on. At first you think this greedy corporation, the Shin-ra, is all you have to worry about but there is a greater enemy and more iconic than any other video game villain waiting to take the reigns as this adventure takes you on a whilwind journey of everest heights and oceanous depths.

If you love to sit down and play a game for hours on end, then this is a title I highly recommend.

Great game!

Posted : 8 years, 1 month ago on 16 March 2006 11:40

This is one of the classic RPGs for the Playstation. Fascinating character development and an intricate, compelling storyline make for a really well-constructed game. The graphics are somewhat lacking, but considering this was one of the early PSX games, they're a huge leap compared to previous systems like the SNES. The materia system is detailed but easy to master, although it can become a bit tedious to adjust the combinations every time you receive a new one. Overall, definitely worth playing for any RPG fan.

[Edited to contain an actual review after picture had been fixed.]