Far, far more than a book.

Posted : 6 years, 2 months ago on 26 September 2011 08:00

Why is this book considered iconic? Because it's the most life-changing experience a work can ever get. Why is that so?

Because it helps people having been sexually abused to get over it.

You definitely must read this book if you have any experience related to sexual abuse and are well aware of its consequences (whether you came through this problem yourself or not). You'll definitely like it-- and it's more than simply "like" it.

People disliking the book because of Holden's annoying character are missing the point. And I don't blame them, because they most certainly don't have the experience needed to get it.

The Catcher in the Rye is about a young student experiencing the direct consequences of sexual abuse. And the reason why the book is life-changing is because it teaches you that you're not the only one in this world to suffer and to hate the world, you're not the only one that don't ever want to hear about sex, and because it allows you to see YOURSELF with the needed detachment to see how pathetic you are and how worse you can become if you don't get over it.

The only way someone could ever come with a book this TRUE is to have come through this type of problem once. That's why... Salinger's death strongly moved me.

Hope I've been helpful to people not understanding why is the book so famous, and made some of you want to read it.

The Catcher in the Rye review

Posted : 7 years, 8 months ago on 24 March 2010 10:24

C'è da andare in "brodo di giuggiole" a leggere questo libro. Se si pensa con la testa di un ventenne d'oggi, magari non sembra così trasgressivo (anche se non ci scommetterei). Ma i libri sono fatti per questo, per mettersi nella testa e nei panni di un epoca e di un personaggio. Ci sono mille modi per raccontare l'irrequietezza giovanile, ma quello di Salinger mi è sembrato il migliore.

The Catcher in the Rye review

Posted : 10 years, 7 months ago on 2 May 2007 01:14

This book is perfect *.*

I love so much

A classic? I don

Posted : 10 years, 11 months ago on 15 January 2007 06:25

Having never read it until now, but always holding it in a place of respect and iconic status (due to the popularity of it's name-dropping in so many mediums and genres), I feel somewhat disappointed with the actual work.

Intriguing? Yes. Life-changing? Undoubtably. Enjoyable? Eh. I really felt as though I was forcing myself to finish the entire book, just in desperate hope of finding purpose for the story and meaning in its message. It was frustrating in that aspect. Add to that the constant profanity, it really was a chore to finish the entire book, despite its brief length.

What it lost in respect in those areas, it found endearment in others. A relate-able story with as much room for interpretation as to the author's meaning and purpose as you choose to employ ... a chipped-tooth tale with callow emotion and truth.

The Catcher In the Rye by Salinger

Posted : 11 years, 4 months ago on 30 July 2006 10:44

The masterpiece? The magnum opus? Whatever the hell you want to call this - it's got enough truth to drive some people insane. If you haven't read this, you're not a functioning member of society. But don't stop here, either - this is hardly the man's finest hour. Deeper, more beautiful words lie further into the Salinger collection...